PPC Engine Backup not running

OK, so I just installed the engine on my dual processor G5. Ran the console on my MacBook Pro. Added the MacBook Pro as a source, created a media set on my 1TB USB drive, ran the backup assistant, which created a script called "Backup Assistant - 7/1/09 11:49 AM" that's supposed to back up all files on the G5 and the MacBook. The cool little animation of the script icon danced over to the "Activities" item in the sidebar, which turned yellow briefly.

Then nothing. If I click on "Activities", the list is blank. I can click on "Scripts" and see the above created backup, and I can click the "Run" icon, select my media set, click "Backup", and I get the whizbangy animations again, but still nothing in the "Activities" list.

The log is pretty much worthless:

+  Retrospect version 8.1.148.1
 Launched at 7/1/2009 11:09 AM 

Code XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX for Desktop was successfully added.
 *  MacBookPro: first access
 PitonPacket::netimport: kPiCodeMacAddr
 Exit at 7/1/2009 12:08 PM

+  Retrospect version 8.1.148.1
 Launched at 7/1/2009 12:10 PM

What am I doing wrong? I purchased 8.0 on April 1, then later found that the engine didn't run on PPC, so I've been pretty patient waiting for that. 3 months later, and I finally have software, but it doesn't work. I'm beginning to think that maybe this purchase wasn't such a good idea.....

Edited by Guest

Check the OS X Console on the computer running the engine. It may display an error or more detail about what has failed.

The 1TB USB disk is plugged into the G5, correct?

What happens if you try to "run" the script again?

What happens if you exit and reopen the console?

Check the OS X Console on the computer running the engine. It may display an error or more detail about what has failed.

Nothing in the console - does the engine have a separate log file it writes to by any chance? I filtered both the console.log an system.log by "retro" and "emc", and visually scanned it and didn't see anything jumping out at me.

The 1TB USB disk is plugged into the G5, correct?

Correct.

What happens if you try to "run" the script again?

Same thing. Nice animation, nothing ever shows up in the "Activities" list.

What happens if you exit and reopen the console?

Same thing. I've even rebooted the G5 just to make sure that there's nothing wrong there. BTW, it's running Tiger Server if that makes a difference.

[color:blue]Code XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX for Desktop was successfully added.[/color]

running Tiger Server

That might be the problem. Although one would hope for more user feedback when attempting to use a Desktop license on an Engine running on an OS X Server machine.

Edited by Guest
--Drat. Never fast enough when Mayoff is on the job...

Why no error/warning?

Good question,

I submitted a bug/feature request. (#22669 if you ever need reference)

Thanks,

-jeff

BTW, it appears that the engine just doesn't run correctly on server if it's not licensed with the right version. I tried backing up just the non-server client and that has the same behavior. So for the moment, my only recourse to back up the macbook would be to install the engine on it, connect the USB drive, and leave the G5 out of the loop entirely.

It'd be nice if this was spelled out much more clearly somewhere...