engine - management console communications

the engine - management console separation of retrospect 8.x is a nice feature.

can someone tell me what port(s) i would need to open/redirect if i wanted to be able to run the management console from outside my firewall talking to an engine running inside the firewall or vice versa?

thanks.

can someone tell me what port(s) i would need to open/redirect if i wanted to be able to run the management console from outside my firewall talking to an engine running inside the firewall or vice versa?

That could be a VERY BAD IDEA with serious security issues.

If your console is on the internet going through a firewall to your Retrospect engine computer behind your firewall, you should have the console and the engine communicate through a VPN tunnel if you are going to have your console outside your firewall.

Russ

this seems like such an obvious thing to want to do that i suggest a bug be opened on this.

retrospect is already capable of using a keypair to secure communication between engine and clients. it should certainly be able to do the same for comms between engine and management console.

Communication between the engine and console is already encrypted. For security just add a password from within the console preferences.

Not to be overly critical here, but, respectfully, a User Guide / Manual would be very helpful on such points for a product that was announced six months ago. Nothing about encrypted communication between the console and engine can be found in the Product PDF that was handed out at MacWorld nor in the Getting Started guide. It's not right that users and prospective users have to glean such tidbits from morsels that happen to be dispensed in postings in these forums.

Russ

a User Guide / Manual would be very helpful
. We are working on it. We are behind on the guide. The product keeps changing, so we are having to play catch up on docs.

I don't even know if that level of detail will be in a guide on how to use the software.

I don't even know if that level of detail will be in a guide on how to use the software.

Whatever, but it needs to be documented either in the Users Guide or a KB Article. Seems to me that it's about of the same level of detail as presented in the "Advanced Networking" section in the Retrospect 6.1 guide (similar section in versions 2.0 and forward, as I recall).

Otherwise, how is an admin to assess whether (and how) Retrospect can be safely administered from another machine? Network topology and infrastructure varies with each installation, as do the security requirements.

Russ