All files not backed up?

First off, I've never dealt with Retrospect before this week. A new client informed me that they just had an iMac's hard drive die, and didn't know how to restore from backup. I need some guidance.

Here's the issue - the previous consultant obviously set something up incorrectly, as some backups have been failing for about 3 months.

I need to recover anything I can from the user's home folder. There are two entries in Scripts: Terry Nightly (Proactive backup) and Terry Weekend (Backup). Both are set to back up all files as per the radio button in Rules.

The corresponding Media Sets (file, not disk or tape) both had 0 files and 0 B used, which I thought odd, as the files on the backup hard drive are both over 10GB. I then repaired or rebuilt (can't remember which) both sets. Terry Nightly now shows 40,000 files and 8.3GB used, and Terry Weekend shows 213,000 files and 12.3GB.

The problem I'm having is that when I click Restore in the toolbar (and choose Restore selected files and folders), I get about 100 backups from various other computers, but neither Terry Nightly or Weekend are listed. When I go back and search for files in selected media sets I can see both, but when I browse either media set, the Users folder isn't there. The Terry Nightly media set also only shows a size of 1.9GB when I try to preview through the "Restore files from which backups?" window.

Does anyone know why "All files" didn't back up the Users folder, and is there a reason why the 8GB backup file only shows 2GB of data?

Thanks!

First off, I've never dealt with Retrospect before this week. A new client informed me that they just had an iMac's hard drive die, and didn't know how to restore from backup. I need some guidance.

Of critical importance before anyone can help you is an understanding of exactly what version of Retrospect you are using. Retrospect (Mac) is currently undergoing a major upheaval, and Retrospect 8.x is very different from Retrospect 6.x and before (there is no Retrospect 7.x for Macintosh).

If you are trying to restore from Retrospect 6.x (yes, we would need the exact version x.x.x), the right place to post your request would be here:

Retrospect 6.x forum

I suspect that you are not using Retrospect 8 because it is so new, and you seem to have a bit of history here that you are trying to wade through.

Here is the documentation, in case you are without it:

Retrospect documentation

Russ

What version of Retrospect are you using?

If this is 8.0, do you see the disk under Past Backups? What about under Activities>Past?

when I browse either media set, the Users folder isn't there

Did you backup just a User's Folder or did you backup the disk containing the folder?

I'm using the latest version (8.0.736.1) of Retrospect (Mac).

The disk doesn't show up in Past Backups. I see about 500 entries (going back to March 27), all of which have the yellow triangle with exclamation mark, status Backup interrupted.

The disk shows up in Activities>Past, but as a failed activity, with the following errors:

+Normal backup using Terry Nightly at 5/12/2009 8:00 PM (Execution unit 2)

To Media Set Terry Nightly...

5/12/2009 8:00:13 PM: Copying Macintosh HD on Terry Drisdelle

#Not enough disk space for selected files

(short by about 25.2 G).

5/12/2009 8:47:59 PM: Execution incomplete

Remaining: 823945 files, 52.2 GB

Completed: 0 files, zero KB

Performance: 0.0 MB/minute

Duration: 00:47:46 (00:47:36 idle/loading/preparing)

MapError: unknown Mac error 28

TFile::Write: write failed, /Volumes/Admin/Workstations/Terry Nightly/Terry Nightly.rbf, oserr 28, error -1002

As far as I can tell, the entire disk was set to back up.

Edited by Guest
Post got cut off.

The screenshot is showing me that Retrospect is having trouble communicating with the destination disk.

This may be caused because:

1) The destination disk is not mounted (probably not)

2) The permissions on the disk are preventing Retrospect from correctly seeing the available capacity of the disk.

3) The disk is actually full

What happens if you stop and restart the Retrospect Engine?

What do you see if you create and save a new file backup set onto a different disk?

What are the permissions for the .rbf file?

Maybe post a screenshot for the Admin Get Info screen.

The disk has always been attached.

Stopping and restarting the Retrospect engine didn't show any errors, and nothing has changed in the Console.

Saving a new backup set works fine - the permissions are set as 755, which is the same as the permissions on Terry Nightly and Weekend.

Where would I find the Admin Get Info screen?

Thanks!