VISTA SP2 Many Errors

BobRand

After installing VISTA SP2 on 5/28/09, I started getting many errors and warnings (previously there was none) on a backup of user’s data.

Typical errors are “insufficient permissions,†“sharing errorâ€, “file not found,†“didn’t compare.â€

Samples from 5/28/09; 33 errors, 3 warnings, backup took 3 minutes vs. normal of 5 to 6 minutes:

ERROR: Can't use Open File Backup option for User Bob on OS (C:), error -1017 (insufficient permissions)

ERROR: File "C:\Users\User Bob\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Recovery\Active\{82332A44-4BFA-11DE-9F96-001D0918C433}.dat": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

ERROR: File "C:\Users\User Bob\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low\user_bob@quantserve[2].txt": can't read, error -1101 (file/directory not found)

ERROR: File "C:\Users\User Bob\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low\index.dat": didn't compare

On 6/1/09 I manually ran a Complete Recycle Backup of C: I got 140 errors and 31 warnings (normally none).

Typical errors are “insufficient permissions,†“sharing errorâ€, “file not found,†“didn’t compare.â€

ERROR: Can't use Open File Backup option for OS (C:), error -1017 (insufficient permissions)

6/1/2009 6:56:07 AM: Recycle backup: The Backup Set was reset

ERRORS: File "C:\Boot\BCD": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "C:\Boot\BCD.LOG": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "C:\Program Files\Embarq Online Security 8\Common\policy.ipf": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "C:\Program Files\Embarq Online Security 8\FSAUA\content\hydrawin\1243826351\01@hydra.pub": can't read, error -1101 (file/directory not found)

I have 32 bit Vista Ultimate. SP2 was a large update. Everything else seems to work OK.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Edited by Guest

Retrospect only ran without errors on 6-6-09. All backups after 6-6-09 have many errors. I may have F-Secure anti virus running a complete scan while retrospect is doing backups. I will reschedule the F-Secure start time and see if errors are eliminsted.

I found that F-Secure was not running properly. On a manual scan of C:, D: & G:; F-Secure stopped scanning and could not be stopped. I had to End Task using the Windows Task Manager. This happened 3 times. I removed F-Secure and reloaded it from Embarq. Retrospect is now running withour errors. I am sure that all these problems were caused by the instalation of Vista SP2.

In the continuing saga of VISTA SP2, after reloading Embarq F-secure Retrospect ran once witout errors but then back to many errors. The Retrospect errors were simular to my initial error report.

I did a check for windows updates and found 6 critical updates were needed. I requested the updates but they all failed. I looked at my windows update history and found these 6 critical updates had failed to install on 5 previous days. I tried to install them again and got error code 800700B. Search of the error code gave a help page giving steps to reset fsutil (Windows file system transaction log). I reset the log and restarted the computer. The 6 updates installed properly. Retrospect now runs without errors.