Exchange 2007 Mailbox not visible, my solution

I hope this information helps.

After days of trying to get Retrospect to see individual mailboxes from my Exchange 2007 SP1 server Running on Windows 2003 Server.

I finally got it working. (It used to work in the past)

For some reason I could not get the "Mailboxes" volume to authenticate to my RBU user account.

I followed every step in Retrospect's guide and tried every "fix" from the forums and nothing would work.

This is my fix:

Uninstall "Messaging API and Collaboration Data Objects 1.2.1" and "Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable (x64)" for some reason the x86 version of the C++ Redistributable was also installed so I uninstalled that too.

Now, reinstall both "Messaging API and Collaboration Data Objects 1.2.1" and "Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable (x64)" I did not re-install the x86 version of C++ 2005 Redistributable

Right after I did this Retrospect was able to see all of my mailboxes and my RBU login was accepted.

Good luck!

Ichiro

Edited by Guest

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Uninstall and re-intall on a production Exchange 2007 server? Was this a template install of Exchange or did Exchange have custom settings? I have followed the Exchange 2007 (Retrospect) doc to the letter, given the RBU privledges off the charts, and checked off every other requirement. Leaving out this MAPI/C++ redistributed uninstall and re-install, I believe I have done everything required. Anyone who would like to WebEx in and uninstall these are welcome to try it. Our Exchange Admin doesn't want to, and I don't blame him. Also open to any other possiblilities/Help.

• 7 months later...
Uninstall and re-intall on a production Exchange 2007 server? Was this a template install of Exchange or did Exchange have custom settings? I have followed the Exchange 2007 (Retrospect) doc to the letter, given the RBU privledges off the charts, and checked off every other requirement. Leaving out this MAPI/C++ redistributed uninstall and re-install, I believe I have done everything required. Anyone who would like to WebEx in and uninstall these are welcome to try it. Our Exchange Admin doesn't want to, and I don't blame him. Also open to any other possiblilities/Help.

this worked great! thanks. my setup is Server 2008 x64, so i'm pretty sure the problem is the 32-bit VC++ 2005 redistributable components.

and yes, you can do this on a production server. it doesn't affect Exchange mail function at all unless you need to restart the services (you shouldn't have to restart Exchange services, just the Retrolauncher service). Exchange itself doesn't use VC2005 redist (it's installed with Retrospect) and doesn't require MAPI/CDO or it would install it in the first place.

Edited by Guest