problems with Copy Backup scripts

impala

Is the "Copy Backup" function just completely broken? My problem is different than the "known issue" and apparently different from post "Errors that can't be tracked down".

Mac Pro 1,1 with 4 cores, 2GB RAM, 500GB internal HD aka "bootDisk" and 1500GB seagate freeagent Xtreme firewire drive aka "freemac". Freemac has a botable HFS partition and a large ntfs partition. For this test I'm using the bootable HFS partition. I cannot get a "Copy Backup" script to complete. I'm trying to copy from the internal to the external drive. Here are the relevant log entries:

+ Executing bootdisk2freemac at 4/28/2009 9:50 AM (Execution unit 1)

To Media Set freemac...

4/28/2009 9:50:26 AM: Transferring from bootDisk

data (D:) (4/25/2009 8:53 PM) on Client "hunnicu-opti745"

!Error: -1316451380, while computing MD5 checksum.

4/28/2009 10:16:43 AM: 1072 execution errors

Remaining: 1072 files, 30.3 MB

Completed: 0 files, zero KB

Performance: 0.0 MB/minute

Duration: 00:00:28 (00:00:04 idle/loading/preparing)

4/28/2009 10:16:43 AM: Verifying freemac

4/28/2009 10:16:43 AM: Execution completed successfully

I am using these settings:

Transfer all backups

Rule: All files except cache files

Media verification

Data compression (in software)

Match source Media Set to destination Media Set

Don't add duplicates to the Media Set

After running this script 4 times I still do not have a complete copy. I can verify both Media Sets no problem.

no problems running a verify script:

+ Executing New Script at 4/27/2009 11:06 PM (Execution unit 1)

4/27/2009 11:06:01 PM: Verifying bootDisk

Completed: 190089 files, 77.0 GB

Performance: 2838.3 MB/minute

Duration: 00:28:37 (00:00:51 idle/loading/preparing)

4/27/2009 11:34:39 PM: Verifying freemac

Completed: 57065 files, 33.8 GB

Performance: 867.5 MB/minute

Duration: 00:40:35 (00:00:42 idle/loading/preparing)

4/28/2009 0:15:14 AM: Execution completed successfully

Total duration: 01:09:12 (00:01:33 idle/loading/preparing)

The MD5 is a type of verification, and it looks like the attempt to read the data is failing.

Robin, perhaps some of this confusion could be reduced by a change in terminology on the user interface. Perhaps something like "Data Validation", "Media Verification", "Data Comparison", etc.

I leave your interface experts / designers to ponder over the right way to do this. Documentation might help, but better terminology might make the confusion go away.

Russ

Bingo! It is the "Data compression (in software) option that causes the problem. I turn that option off and leave all the others on and now the backup is proceeding without errors. I turn all the options except "Data compression" off and I still get the errors. Definitely the "Data compression (in software)" on a copy backup to disk script triggering my problem.

I wouldn't use software data compression on a tape backup, so using a tape as a destination for a Copy Backup script should mitigate this.

This sounds like a bug:

1) Did you have compression turned on when you originally used the "bootDisk" set?

2) Do you have encryption in either the source or destination media set?

3) Are all of your sets Disk Media Sets or did you use a different media set type?

FOR the scope of this problem:

1: compression for bootDisk backups: Some yes, Some no. They are mixed. I forgot to turn on compression for some of the scripts.

2: no encryption for anything

3: bootDisk and freemac are both Disk Media Sets.

PS: Can I track the status of this bug elsewhere?

FYI: I recycled both disk media sets bootDisk and freemac. I made compressed backups to bootDisk, and was able to "Copy Backup" with the software compression option ON to freemac.

Not that it would eliminate this bug, but I've always thought the preference to use software compression should be attached to the media set JUST LIKE THE MEDIA SECURITY OPTION and not to the script.

but I've always thought the preference to use software compression should be attached to the media set ... and not to the script.

I disagree.

You might have a particular Source that compresses well, all text files and stuff. You want that Source to use compression.

You might have an additional Source full of encrypted or compressed files that you are writing to the same Media Set. Configuring that Script to run without compression would make things faster and more efficient.

Security is pretty much totally different; Retrospect (apparently) can't encrypt some Sources and not encrypt Others within a single Media Set. Seems like a reasonable limitation (or design decision).

Dave