Errors that can't be tracked down

I cannot get a Copy Media Set script to execute without error, and the logs don't indicate what went wrong. What can I do. I have tried this with several Media Sets over several days and I have about a 90% failure rate:

+ Executing Archive Staff HHS at 4/27/2009 11:11 AM (Execution unit 1)

To Media Set Archive...

4/27/2009 11:11:46 AM: Transferring from Staff Data HHS

4/27/2009 12:40:29 PM: Execution completed successfully

Completed: 719401 files, 150.5 GB

Performance: 1788.3 MB/minute

Duration: 01:28:42 (00:02:32 idle/loading/preparing)

4/27/2009 12:40:29 PM: Verifying Archive

[color:red]4/27/2009 1:51:22 PM: Execution completed successfully

Remaining: 19689 files, 770.0 MB[/color]

Completed: 699712 files, 150.0 GB

Performance: 2221.2 MB/minute

Duration: 01:10:52 (00:01:45 idle/loading/preparing)

SMTP: opening addr 10.201.0.202

I don't see the client crash (well, sometimes I do, but even if it doesn't crash, I get the failures).

Notice on the log above it says the script "Execution completed successfully" but there are a number of files remaining. I posted about this earlier, but didn't get a response.

Edited by Guest

Is this verify part of a different verify script or is it the verify step included with the copy script?

Retrospect does have the ability to not re-verify data already verified when using a verification script. Incremental verification.

The log is clearly giving bad information. It should never say successful in this example. I have logged but 22019 for this problem.

Does a scripted verify work or report the same thing? Make sure the options are set to verify the entire media set.

It is a single script that (originally) does this:

• Copy Media Set
    All Files
    Copy backups
    Media verification
    Match source Media Set to destination Media Set
    Don't add duplicate files to the Media Set

I run it manually during the day when nothing else is happening on the backup server.

I also have tried the script, disabling each of these options in turn, on the assumption that it would "simplify" the process, and try to make it go faster (I mean a Finder level copy goes way faster, I realize that there are some error checks going on, but performance was shockingly slow even after disabling nearly every option):

Match source Media Set to destination Media Set

Don't add Duplicate files to the Media Set

I have never disabled the Media verification checkbox, as if I do that, I may as well just use the Finder, right? And with as much as I trust this software, I want to do all the verification I can...

The log above comes from my "simplified script", which turns off the "Match source Media Set to destination Media Set" and "Don't add duplicate files to the Media Set" options and has the "Copy backups" and "Media verification" turned on. But I get similar errors and results regardless as to whether those options are on or off.

Does a scripted verify work or report the same thing? Make sure the options are set to verify the entire media set.

I am not sure what either of those questions are asking. I presume it is regarding creating a script that does nothing other than verify? I don't know anything about that - how or why you would set it up. Hopefully there will be some detailed documentation at some (soon) point in time. Basically now is learning by trial and error, and making assumptions about how things are supposed to work and be used.

The log shows that your remaining items are part of the verify operation and not the copy phase. Either a cosmetic bug is making it appear that verify is not finishing all the way, or the verify is finishing but is giving the wrong file count or verify is failing to finish reading your files.

By using a verification script, you can do a verification of the media after the copy operation is done. We can then 1) view the log to see if it finishes. 2) See the total file count of the verify. 3) Look for errors.

Edited by Guest

So in the Copy Media Set script, should I turn off the Media verification option?

And then after the copy is done, create a script that verifies the archive?

I created a verify script to see what was involved. Looks like you simply select a Media Set to verify. I guess I am confused how that would work, I always assumed a verify would compare one source to another. What is it verifying against?

I assume I would point the verify at the destination of the Copy Media Set script?

Does it matter if other data (from other Copy Media Set scripts) is stored in the destination?

You can normally leave verify on. I want to know what happens if you do a verify now, since the prior verify failed.

The verify uses the MD5 digest to read your media and check it for errors. It doesn't matter what data is saved to the media.

A verify is an extra safety step and it is used for troubleshooting problems like this.

OK - I had started another copy operation, but apparently the console crashed. There is now no indication of what that script did or didn't do.

I am restarting the server, and then I will execute a verify script.

Man, I wish there was documentation. There is an option "Verify entire Media Set"

Not sure what that does, or what the consequences of not checking it are (it is not checked by default, so I left it unchecked).

Edited by Guest

I am not using any compression.

I finally got a verify script to complete.

You won't like the results:

- It reports: "Execution completed successfully"

- Yet has files remaining: Remaining: 87030 files, 4.3 GB

+ Executing Verify Archive at 4/28/2009 1:21 PM (Execution unit 1)

4/28/2009 1:21:11 PM: Verifying Archive

4/28/2009 9:05:59 PM: Execution completed successfully

Remaining: 87030 files, 4.3 GB

Completed: 6735261 files, 984.7 GB

Performance: 2232.0 MB/minute

Duration: 07:44:48 (00:13:03 idle/loading/preparing)

Total duration: 07:44:49 (00:13:03 idle/loading/preparing)

Which one?

All of them?

I am getting similar failures on most Copy Media Set scripts I have (I have several Copy Media Set scripts, each using a different Media Set source on the same hard drive going to another locally attached drive, but a single Media Set destination).

For example:

Copy Media Set script A: Media Set HardDrive1:SetA copied to HD2:SetArchive

Copy Media Set script B: Media Set HardDrive1:SetB copied to HD2:SetArchive

Copy Media Set script C: Media Set HardDrive1:SetC copied to HD2:SetArchive

Copy Media Set script D: Media Set HardDrive1:SetD copied to HD2:SetArchive

In anticipation, I started to do a Catalog Rebuild on the "Archive" Set, but was thorwn buy the dialog prompts, not understanding what they meant.

After being prompted to chose a type (which I thought was strange, because the Media Set was already selected and it was a Disk type), I chose "Disk".

It then prompted to Add Member..., at which point I wasn't sure what it was asking. - Do I select the root, the Retrospect folder, the Archive folder, or the 1-Archive folder

Edited by Guest

You may have missed my edit - I think you replied before I was done - so can you guide me through what the procedure is for the rebuild, I don't understand what it is doing, and what it is prompting for. - sorry to bug with this, I would read the docs if they were available:

I am getting similar failures on most Copy Media Set scripts I have (I have several Copy Media Set scripts, each using a different Media Set source on the same hard drive going to another locally attached drive, but a single Media Set destination).

For example:

Copy Media Set script A: Media Set HardDrive1:SetA copied to HD2:SetArchive

Copy Media Set script B: Media Set HardDrive1:SetB copied to HD2:SetArchive

Copy Media Set script C: Media Set HardDrive1:SetC copied to HD2:SetArchive

Copy Media Set script D: Media Set HardDrive1:SetD copied to HD2:SetArchive

In anticipation, I started to do a Catalog Rebuild on the "Archive" Set, but was thorwn buy the dialog prompts, not understanding what they meant.

After being prompted to chose a type (which I thought was strange, because the Media Set was already selected and it was a Disk type), I chose "Disk".

It then prompted to Add Member..., at which point I wasn't sure what it was asking. - Do I select the root, the Retrospect folder, the Archive folder, or the 1-Archive folder

Catalog rebuild done:

+ Executing Recatalog at 4/29/2009 1:17 PM (Execution unit 1)%s at 4/29/2009 1:17 PM (Execution unit 1)]

To Media Set Archive...

4/29/2009 9:03:15 PM: Execution completed successfully

Completed: 6822291 files, 991.5 GB

Performance: 2244.6 MB/minute

Duration: 07:43:22 (00:11:07 idle/loading/preparing)

I will begin the verification tomorrow. Nightly backup scripts running now.

OK - I ran a verify on the Archive this morning, but it smells fishy, because it didn't take long, and there is no indication of how many files were "verified".

Yesterday it took several hours.

+ Executing Verify Archive at 4/30/2009 8:45 AM (Execution unit 1)

4/30/2009 8:45:46 AM: Verifying Archive

4/30/2009 8:47:47 AM: Execution completed successfully

Duration: 00:02:00

Total duration: 00:02:01

Edited by Guest