Proactive backup doing everything again, not just incrementing

I have set up a bunch of proactive scripts for various sources and media. Retrospect has worked through them all ok. Now, it has worked its way back around and is, for the first time, running a script for the second time. This should therefore just be an incremental backup to what it did before, but it is showing the full 160GB, 1.5 million files, left to go, and is working through them. The media is a 1TB USB drive, several of the scripts have backed up various sources to it.

I did not recycle the media. The space consumed on the media shows the original backup must still be there.

The log for the current process begins by saying '+ Normal backup'.

I went into 'Past Backups' and am able to view the content of the original backup, so I think this means it has not been recycled. Can Retrospect write an entirely separate backup of the one source to the same media set?

Any suggestions?

Edited by Guest

1) Check the Media Set to make sure the member is not marked as missing/lost/damaged from the member summary.

2) If the script has multiple destinations then you need to confirm it is writing to a destination that already contains data or is it a new different destination?

Media Set | Summary says nothing about missing, lost or damaged. Status says 'Ready'. Members 1, Backups 5 (the script writes several sources to the same set), Files 2 million (approx) etc.

The script only has this one destination so far. I was going to add another once I saw everything behaving correctly.

Edited by Guest
corrected reference to multiple scripts

Thanks for your help.

I have paused this second run in its early stages. Can I stop it and try your suggestion, or do I have to let this repeat run its course? I hope not since it's large and will waste space and time.

As mentioned before, I can view the content of the original, so that must be intact. Just not sure if the second run, aborted part way through, would interfere with your test. If it would, can I still abort this one, and run your test on one of the other backups done by the same script, before they get a chance to do their next proactive backup? then, if they behave in the test, I can let the proactive have a go and see what that does then.

Update: I stopped that one and am running your test, will post result shortly...

Edited by Guest
update

and now the same script just fired up again, backing up a different source to the same Media Set, and it's copying everything again.

So it seems proactive backs up everything, but manual does not.

As far as I know, it is not possible to set a proactive to anything other than incremental, so I don't think I set it up wrong. did I?

Now another script is backing up correctly, incrementally, to a different media set. This is with the same source that was previously being backed up, incorrectly, in full.

So it's not the source?

But I cannot separate the media set from the script, only that one script uses that media set, and no other media sets.

Any idea how I could proceed? I'll write another script to do one of the backups the 'problem' script has been doing. If it's the media set, the problem should occur there too.

Well now I'm a bit confused.

I started to ask it to rebuild the catalogue, but I'm not sure if it did or not. It appeared not to, but then I noticed my test proactive script had started to run, so I figured that was why.

Now it's finished scanning I see it is only backing up a limited set of files. This is to the media set in question.

So this indicates either the catalog rebuild fixed it or the old script was at fault (is this possible?). Could the catalog of 300GB (ish) of backups be rebuilt in seconds? If not, it cannot have been done, if it happened it took seconds. I see no logs about it, would it be logged?

It appears not to be the backup set, but maybe the script?

I have a new test proactive script running that repeatedly backs up that same source, the local Macintosh HD, to the same Media Set. It only ever backs up a relatively small amount of data. Clearly the new script is incrementing where the old script is not, despite using identical source and media.

The original proactive script still tries to back up everything.

Edited by Guest

I manually recreated the backup script. I did not copy the old one, just set up a new one. That script works correctly, incrementally.

The one difference I noticed when comparing my new script with the old is in Options | Proactive Backup | Matching.

The new script has the default settings:

Match source files... is ticked

Don't add duplicate files... is ticked

In the old script, the second of these is unticked.

I don't know why I changed that in the old script. Is this the problem?

I thought this related to copying files duplicated on the source and was not about duplicating on the backup. But looking at the 3rd option there about same path, I see that would not make sense.

So is this the problem? Would it mean my backup is now still sound, but has files wastefully duplicated, taking up more space?