Restoring to Disk Image

I'm trying to restore a backup to a sparse disk image, using the first option (snapshot mode). It all works fine, but then seems to get stuck on "completing restore" where it assigns disk permissions.

Am I supposed to have the "ignore ownership" checkbox checked or not for the disk image? Are there any issues with restoring to a disk image?

- John

I am now having problems with this again. It doesn't seem to matter how I have the "ignore ownership" checkbox checked, it's hanging again at the same place. Note this is on a fresh install too. Guess it is a bug of some sort. Please let me know if you find a reliable way to restore to s disk image.

- John

I make a disk image with Disk Utility, just the default settings, and I've tried with both normal and sparseimages. I then mount the image. I then try to restore onto the image volume, and it freezes at "completing restore".

The image is on the same volume I have the backup set on - does that matter?

- John

Where is the mounted disk image located?

> I then mount the image

> The image is on the same volume I have the backup set on

It's still unclear how your equipment is configured.

Retrospect consists of multiple parts that can run on multiple computers.

The RetrospectEngine can run on one machine, the Retrospect console application can run on the same machine or a different one, and Retrospect Client software can be installed on multiple other machines.

Furthermore, Media Sets consist of two parts, the Catalog file and the backup media.

So "the same volume I have the backup set on" just is not specific enough.

How, exactly, have you configured Retrospect for what you are attempting to do?

Dave

I have the Engine and Console application running on the same machine. I have the Client running on a second machine. The Catalog file is on the same volume that the Disk Set writes to, as is the Disk Image I'm trying to restore to. This volume is different than the boot volume.

I have also tried restoring to a Disk Image on the boot volume, and it also failed.

- John

A quick test allowed me to successfully Restore from a Disk Media Set to a mounted Sparse Disk Image and a mounted Sparse Bundle Disk Image running on a single machine.

Media Set was very small (three files, 3.2 MB, disk images were 500 MB each). But it proves that there is not any specific inability to perform this sort of operation.

- How much free space on the mounted image in relation to the amount of data you're trying to Restore?

Dave

Well, I let the restore go for an hour-and-a-half today and it finally completed.

This is a 12GB volume that I'm restoring. Does it make sense it takes this long? It seems as though Retrospect had written the recovered files back out, with the proper permissions, within the first 25 minutes or so of the process. Then, for the rest of the time, it sat on "completing restore", with no feedback other than the spinning arrows in the event list.

If this is how long it takes, what exactly is it doing during this "completing restore" step that takes so long?

If not, what could be awry with my system?

Thanks!

- John

Completing restore has to write the permission out for every restored file. This relies very heavily on the file system. The more files, the longer it will take.

I still don't know exactly what options you have selected when creating the image. Your default options could be different from mine.

Would it make sense it could take as long as it did, considering the restore is 12GB and about 400,000 files?

As far as the settings in Disk Utility when I create the image, I'm using a volume size of 20GB, Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) volume format, no encryption, Single Partition - Apple Partition Map, and sparse disk image for the image format (I've tried the read/write disk image format as well).

- John