FTP (Hosting Co) as Source

BeTood

I tried seeing if there is a related topic and could not find anything, so I apologize if this has been covered already.

I use HostGator for my web hosting and can access my files via FTP. I want to back those files up with Retrospect. I will use an existing Media Set which is already set up. However, I can't seem to find a way to access my files on my FTP site through Retrospect. I tried the AFP share, but says the volume does not exist. I tried AFP://(my website).com and tried ftp://(my website).com which is what I normaly use to upload files.

Any thoughts? Thanks so much.

Yes. I tried different variations of the directory and path and nothing seems to work. Normally, with all the FTP upload programs I have used (CyberDuck, etc..) my server usually will take most anything I use. What I want to confirm, as well, is that under sources, when I add the source, should I use afp, or ftp and then my directory?

Thanks.

I use HostGator for my web hosting and can access my files via FTP.

That's nice.

Retrospect does not have FTP (or SFTP) support, either for Sources (which it likely will never have) or for destination Media Sets (which they may provide in the future).

>> I can't seem to find a way to access my files on my FTP site through Retrospect

See above.

>> I tried the AFP share, but says the volume does not exist.

You tried what AFP share? What says "the volume does not exist"?

>> I tried AFP://(my website).com and tried ftp://(my website).com which is what

>> I normaly use to upload files.

Looking around the HostGator website I see no mention of AFP support; I've never heard of any ISP offering Apple Filesharing Protocol (at least not since Bill Woodcock's Zocolo in Berkeley long ago; he even provided routed AppleTalk Zones through leased frame connections!!).

They do have support for WebDAV, which means you could probably mount a volume on your Macintosh, but I don't know (and doubt) if Retrospect supports WebDAV for its Network Share feature.

>> should I use afp

Not if AFP isn't an available protocol to access your files.

Retrospect isn't the right tool for this, at least not for getting the files from HostGator to a more appropriate staging area.

RBrowser will do Remote-to-Local Folder Synchronization via SFTP and/or SSH (you'll have to ask HostGator to enable SSH on your account); maybe you can use that to get the files to a location that Retrospect can then access.

Dave