UI frustration selecting sources

Tree

I have been building up my list of sources, so that I can rebuild the scripts I've been using with R. 5.175. I have a bunch of sources now, and when I go to select a source for a new script, I commonly have to scroll to locate it. However, when I release the scroll bar or click off of the scroll arrow, the list insists on refreshing back to where I started. It takes several attempts to finally be able to rapidly scroll then click on the source before it snaps back.

That may be a bug kind of issue; the other thing that bugs me a bit may be more of a feature request. In the old R. 5, I was able to organize all of my scripts into folders, so that scripts like "OutmoverXXX", which moves files off of user XXX's "OUT" folder and onto an Archive volume, could all be contained within one "Outmovers" folder; I need multiple versions of this script, one for each user. In the new R. 8 it appears that all my scripts will be contained in the same big list. If there is a way to define folders to contain scripts, I haven't found it yet.

Another feature that seems oddly missing is the ability to output or export all these scripts and sources, basically to backup Retrospect's configuration. If my computer (the one with both Engine and Console installed) goes down, such as by hard drive failure, am I going to have to reinstall R. elsewhere and then go through all of this setup again? I'd feel much better if there was a way to get the config backed up somewhere.

Finally, I'm not nuts about the no-confirmation method of interaction, where you just go to the sources tab and click radio buttons, then go to destinations and click some more, and never get to a point where you say, "There, I'm done, this script is good to go." I've got some scripts that are partially complete, because I've got to work out an issue with one of the sources perhaps, or something isn't ready about the destination, but because of work flow I'd rather just go through and establish the script now, then deal with the issues later, and come back and finalize the script. However, without a "Save" button I realize that this is dangerous - I've got an active script with flaws in it.

Maybe that's the feature I'd request, then - an "Activate/Deactivate" toggle for each script, or "Enable/Disable", or else good old-fashioned "Save/Not Saved".

Apologies if this is too much for one thread!

EDIT: I must add, too, that I have seen Retrospect become unresponsive right after I Duplicate a script then click on Sources to select a different source. I am forced to quit and relaunch the Console.

Edited by Guest

You should always (at least until the program is more stable) backup the config80.dat file (daily?). I've found that very useful when things got messed up to be able to restore back an old config file.

Just add the /Library/Application Support/Retrospect folder as a "favorite folder" and back that up as a source. That's what I do.

I am using 8.0.608; it came out right after I began installing all the clients, and I had already installed the 8.0.594 engine/console. Thus, all of my clients are version 6.3.019 as this is what came with the 594 build; I don't know whether I need to update them to match the 608 build (I got the impression that there was no change to the clients).

The scrolling snap-back seems to be related to which element in the list you currently have selected - it wants to return to showing you that item, even though your intention is to scroll down and select something else. It happens with the disclosure triangles, too - if you've selected something nested inside a triangle, then click to close that triangle, it will open right back up. However, I've also seen that clicking on a closed triangle to open it up can snap back to a closed state, and that is not related to a current selection, apparently.