Restore Assistant: 'Restore from' failure

icicle

I backed up a 144GB Pictures folder on a Mac internal hard drive to a network drive (USB 500GB attached to an Airport Extreme), using Retrospect 8 apparently successfully. I am now trying to prove that I can recover files from the backup, using the Restore Assistant to retrieve particular files.

When asked to 'Select Backup' 'Where do you want to restore from?' I select a 'point-in-time backup,' click on the 'Browse' button and then on the triangle which expands the 144GB Pictures folder. All looks well with the resultant listing, but when I endeavour to open the largest folder within the list (61GB--14 sub folders, 100s of items), Retrospect can't complete the task but leaves me with spinning spokes down by the 'Select' button. The jam continues until I cancel (up to 15 minutes or so).

After cancelling the process, another try to 'Browse' the backup results in a display of numerous folders all labelled 'Pictures', the name of the containing folder. :rollie:

Has anyone encountered a similar situation? Any solution?

If you get a spinning wheel when trying to browse a past backup, Retrospect may be doing a matching phase in the background. The bigger the backup set, the longer it will take. 15 minutes seems like a long time, but I don't know if that was long enough for a large backup (lots of prior backup sessions)

Do you see any errors in the OS X Console? Do you have an assert_log.utx file in Application Support/Retrospect?

The folder has been backed up only 3 times in Retrospect 8, but many times in Retrospect 6. OS X Console and assert_log.utx report apparently identical errors. Assert_log reports the error on 2 April, the first day that Retro 8 was used. Console reports the same error again this morning at startup. The messages are below. Does this mean something? :confused2:

Thanks for anything!

assert_log.utx error reported:

Application: /, version 8.0.594.1

Exception occurred on 4/2/2009 at 3:33:21 PM

Error info: Assertion failure at "vtop.cpp-1840", on threadID 0xB0485000

Console error reported:

15.04.09 8:13:36 com.retrospect.RetroEngine[50] Assertion failure at "vtop.cpp-1840", on threadID 0xB0485000

Can you please post the full assert log? The first couple of lines do not help.

Also If you are running 8.0.608 and you would like to report a "crash bug" with Retrospect 8, please download an update to the Retrospect engine found at:

http://download.dantz.com/archives/Retro-800609-test-build.dmg

This update does NOT fix any bugs or add any features. It does allow Retrospect to generate additional debugging info using the Apple Crash Reporter. The crash reporter logs will be very helpful for debugging crashes in the Retrospect Engine.

Do you have a crash reporter (from the console) log created with the special engine release I noted above?

Also If you are running 8.0.608 and you would like to report a "crash bug" with Retrospect 8, please download an update to the Retrospect engine found at:

http://download.dantz.com/archives/Retro-800609-test-build.dmg

This update does NOT fix any bugs or add any features. It does allow Retrospect to generate additional debugging info using the Apple Crash Reporter. The crash reporter logs will be very helpful for debugging crashes in the Retrospect Engine.

Bug #21827

I reinstalled Retrospect, now at version 8.0.608.1. I manually recycled to do a new backup of the 46,000 files. The log reported successful conclusion of the backup. Upon trying to restore a file from the previously difficult folder I experienced exactly the same problem, a jam upon trying to open a large folder. I let it run 15 minutes with no progress. Upon cancelling, I again had a display of many folders, all labelled with the name of the parent, 'Pictures'.

Incidentally, after cancelling, the display of many folders has cycled past the name of another folder which includes an "&" character in its name. Maybe the unusual character causes a stumble? I've seen the same behaviour more than once during this problem.

Attached is the assert_log, whose modification date hasn't changed since I installed the newer version of Retrospect.

Any suggestions welcome!

You may want to install the crash reporter version noted above. Try the restore again and leave it more then the 15 minutes. I am hoping that with some more time, an actual error will be generated in the crash logs or on screen to help narrow down the cause.

How much RAM do you have?

Running 3GB of RAM in a Mac Pro. System 10.5.6.

I have been running the Retrospect engine 8.0.0.609, but the application reports 608.1?

I ran the faulty process for a couple of hours this afternoon, with no change. Nothing crashed, so whatever error is well trapped! I attach a zip file showing the series of Restore Assistant windows.

As well, the assert_log is attached again but there is no modification to it since a couple of days ago.