Gray screen of death

olli

Since when I installed Retrospect 8 I have encountered several "gray screens of death" - I have not seen any in months before.

I backup my files to a NAS, a Synology CubeStation CS-406. I have set the CS to hibernate the disks on inactivity. Retrospect Engine is running, "Launch Retrospect Engine on System Startup", I eventually set the machine to sleep. The CS will then hibernate the disks some 20 minutes later.

Now, when I wake the machine it will also cause the CS to start up the disks. As soon as the CS is fully online I may just get a gray screen of death. This happens about one out of three to four times.

I have now disabled the Retrospect Engine and just start it once I run a backup/restore, but this leads my Proactive scripts ad absurdum. Anyway, the gray screens of death have gone away again...

Is anybody else experiencing a similar phenomenon?

I am not sure what you mean by Grey screen of death.

Proactive backup scripts are really designed to always be running and polling disks. If you plan to shutdown the computer running the engine, then I would probably use a standard backup script and not a proactive script.

I am not sure what you mean by Grey screen of death.

By "gray screen of death" I mean a kernel panic; the "gray screen" tells you to hold down the power key to shut the machine off.

Proactive backup scripts are really designed to always be running and polling disks. If you plan to shutdown the computer running the engine, then I would probably use a standard backup script and not a proactive script.

OK, I will give that a try. It will be interesting to see what happens when I wake the machine from sleep after the start time for the normal backup script has arrived. It should too run right away. Or are you asking me to run my backup scripts manually, without any schedule?

Anyway, I used proactive scripts exactly the same way as I used server scripts under Retrospect 6.1, and for 6.1 they did work flawlessly...

If you get a Kernel panic, that is almost always something at the hardware level and not software.

That is true, but it seems this problem is triggered by the way Retrospect Engine is accessing the AFP share.

The OS X console should have the panic log. Can you please post it to this thread so we can investigate.

If you get this gray screen the system does not write or do anything at all anymore... I should have mentioned that there isn't anything in any log.