Retrospect Console freezes on restore

olli

I have just tried another restore operation to a networked client. This time ich chose to "Restore selected files and folders" (instead of "Search for files in selected media sets" (see my other post Cannot restore files on networked client ). For choosing this option you need to know which snapshot in which media set contains the file(s) you want to restore - OK, I did know.

The result of the restore operation was exactly what I expected, good! But:

1) The restore operation checked the whole client file system before actually starting the restore itself; I cannot remember Retrospect 6.1 had done that, the restores had been somewhat "instantaneous" (about a minute). In Retrospect 8 it took a total of 20 minutes!

+ Executing Restore Assistant - 04.04.09 10:10 at 4/4/2009 10:31 AM

4/4/2009 10:31:19 AM: Connected to apfel

To volume PowerBook G4 HD on apfel...

4/4/2009 10:31:19 AM: Restoring from Media Set apfel, Snapshot 5050apfel, 4/3/2009 7:01:10 PM

4/4/2009 10:32:00 AM: Execution completed successfully

Completed: 2 files, 10 KB

Performance: 0.1 MB/minute

Duration: 00:00:41 (00:00:30 idle/loading/preparing)

2) Throughout the whole restore operation Retrospect Console froze (see attachment), I got a spinning beachball; I have not stopped the client, because I could see network activity on my router and opening Retrospect client on the other machine I could see access activities.

Edited by Guest

Did you check the box to restore to a new folder folder? The up coming performance improvements should help with this.

No, I kept that box unchecked to replace the existing files.

When can we expect the "upcoming performance improvments"? Roughly...

No, I kept that box unchecked to replace the existing files.

If you Restore to the root level of a client while leaving the "new folder" option unchecked, you're asking Retrospect to dig down into the file structure and replace items nested within. It's going to have to scan that Destination first if only to ascertain that the path in the Snapshot even exists in the Destination. What if the Snapshot had been taken from an entirely different machine, with a totally different arrangement of files/folders?

Retrospect has generally traded speed/efficiency for data security; this may be one such trade-off.

Would be interesting to test that behavior, though.

Dave