Proactive backup not running

I have a problem with the Proactive Backup.

I have setup a Proactive backup with a Media Set type Disk using a local NAS with iscsi connexion.

Each time I stop my Portable Computer (Macbook Pro) during a backup because I need to leave the office, when I connect my portable again on the network, Proactive backup report an error

Normal backup using Backup Portable at 4/1/2009 10:03 AM (Execution unit 1)

Can't access Media Set Sauvegarde des portables, error -703 ( unknown)Sauvegarde des portables, error -703 (%s)

4/1/2009 10:03:29 AM: Execution incomplete

To make the proactive backup running again I need to repair the media set.

Executing Recatalog at 4/1/2009 10:04 AM (Execution unit 1)%s at 4/1/2009 10:04 AM (Execution unit 1)

To Media Set Sauvegarde des portables...

4/1/2009 10:04:51 AM: Execution completed successfully

Is it a known bug ?

My NAS is running fine and I have no problems with it because some other Media Sets type Disk are just running fine without any problems.

If the Retrospect Engine running on this portable computer? If you disconnect the engine computer from the network in the middle of a backup, then the catalog file will not match the data on the destination disk.

If you stop the backup manually, you may not be giving Retrospect enough time to update the catalog file before you have shutdown or stopped the portable computer. The result will be a corrupted catalog file.

Don't forget, closing the user interface only does not stop the engine, it may still be running an operation background.

If the Retrospect Engine running on this portable computer? If you disconnect the engine computer from the network in the middle of a backup, then the catalog file will not match the data on the destination disk.

No, the Retrospect Engine is running on my Xserver Xeon which is running all the time.

Don't forget, closing the user interface only does not stop the engine, it may still be running an operation background.

Yes, this is something clear. But As said before this problemn occurs on my server not on my MacBook Pro.

Each time I stop my Portable Computer (Macbook Pro) during a backup because I need to leave the office

How are you stopping this backup? Are you clicking stop inside the Retrospect Console?

Does the log you quote above have any more info, like how many files are completed/remaining?

Does it happens if you stop the backup of other computer?

Each time I stop my Portable Computer (Macbook Pro) during a backup because I need to leave the office

How are you stopping this backup? Are you clicking stop inside the Retrospect Console?

Does the log you quote above have any more info, like how many files are completed/remaining?

Does it happens if you stop the backup of other computer?

I'm not doing anything special with retrospect when I stop my computer. I simply stop my computer.

There is no reason to check anythink when you are using a portable computer. You must be able to connect and disconnect to the network at anytime. This is the way employees are working in many offices.

Why do I need to check anything with retrospect in this context ?

Retrospect MUST be able to handle such situation because you can't ask to each employee to launch retrospect each time they want to leave the office just to be sure that retrospect is not backuping their computer.

Isn't it ?

I confirm that the problem occurs with each portable computer.

Why do I need to check anything with retrospect in this context ?

You don't need to check anything, but as the guy who is responsible for writing up the reported bug, I need a very clear understanding of what you are doing and the exact steps to reproduce the problem so that our engineers can test and maybe fix the issue you are seeing. If I don't fully understand the problem description, then I am going to ask lots of questions.

Part of the confusion is that the Mac OS does not have a feature called "stop this computer" but Retrospect does have an option called "stop" to end the backup. I was trying to better understand what you do to "stop" things. I think I now understand and will write a bug report.

Edited by Guest

I saw a similar problem today actually. A catalog repair is not needed. The catalog file for the media set may be incorrectly locked.

Go to Media Sets. Select the media set which should be displaying as "locked" and click the unlock button and type the password.

As I know, Retrospect's encrypted Media set has three modes of remembering password:

1), Don't remember any password for any access

2), remember password for script access

3), remember password for any access.

For mode 1),if you stop retrospect backup server in system preference and then restart it, the media set will become locked again, calling -703 error.

What mode is your media set to remember password?

After this -703 error happened, what did the media set's password-remember-mode become? Did it change

to "Don't remember any password for any access"?

If the answer is the yes, it probably because the backup server closed unexpectedly, leaving data in an inconsistent state.

As I know, Retrospect's encrypted Media set has three modes of remembering password:

1), Don't remember any password for any access

2), remember password for script access

3), remember password for any access.

For mode 1),if you stop retrospect backup server in system preference and then restart it, the media set will become locked again, calling -703 error.

What mode is your media set to remember password?

Do not remember password for access.

After this -703 error happened, what did the media set's password-remember-mode become? Did it change

to "Don't remember any password for any access"?

If the answer is the yes, it probably because the backup server closed unexpectedly, leaving data in an inconsistent state.

Yes, this is exactly the case.