185730 execution errors....

bmwill

I just upgraded, and started a fresh backup immediately.

MacBook Pro to a Tera harddisk.

After 20 hrs (I was hoping 8 would be faster than 6.1....) things seems to be finished.

I look at the log.

185730 execution errors....

Below, I copy in a few of them, together with the specifics of the session.

What is going on? What is this ": different type (src: slnk, dest:)" - and then the four characters that copy in here, but are not seen in the Log??

bmw

*File "/Volumes/BWMacBook/usr/X11/lib/X11/fonts/conf.d/49-sansserif.conf": different type (src: slnk, dest: )/Volumes/BWMacBook/usr/X11/lib/X11/fonts/conf.d/49-sansserif.conf": different type (src: %Y, dest: %Y)]

*File "/Volumes/BWMacBook/usr/X11/lib/X11/fonts/conf.d/50-user.conf": different type (src: slnk, dest: )/Volumes/BWMacBook/usr/X11/lib/X11/fonts/conf.d/50-user.conf": different type (src: %Y, dest: %Y)]

*File "/Volumes/BWMacBook/usr/X11/lib/X11/fonts/conf.d/51-local.conf": different type (src: slnk, dest: )/Volumes/BWMacBook/usr/X11/lib/X11/fonts/conf.d/51-local.conf": different type (src: %Y, dest: %Y)]

*File "/Volumes/BWMacBook/usr/X11/lib/X11/fonts/conf.d/60-latin.conf": different type (src: slnk, dest: )/Volumes/BWMacBook/usr/X11/lib/X11/fonts/conf.d/60-latin.conf": different type (src: %Y, dest: %Y)]

*File "/Volumes/BWMacBook/usr/X11/lib/X11/fonts/conf.d/65-nonlatin.conf": different type (src: slnk, dest: )/Volumes/BWMacBook/usr/X11/lib/X11/fonts/conf.d/65-nonlatin.conf": different type (src: %Y, dest: %Y)]

*File "/Volumes/BWMacBook/usr/X11/lib/X11/fonts/conf.d/80-delicious.conf": different type (src: slnk, dest: )/Volumes/BWMacBook/usr/X11/lib/X11/fonts/conf.d/80-delicious.conf": different type (src: %Y, dest: %Y)]

*File "/Volumes/BWMacBook/usr/X11/lib/X11/fonts/conf.d/90-synthetic.conf": different type (src: slnk, dest: )/Volumes/BWMacBook/usr/X11/lib/X11/fonts/conf.d/90-synthetic.conf": different type (src: %Y, dest: %Y)]

*File "/Volumes/BWMacBook/usr/X11/man/man1/X.1": different type (src: slnk, dest: )/Volumes/BWMacBook/usr/X11/man/man1/X.1": different type (src: %Y, dest: %Y)]

3/29/2009 4:45:01 PM: 185730 execution errors

Remaining: 6 files, 58.3 MB

Completed: 776771 files, 71.5 GB

Performance: 119.3 MB/minute (91.5 copy, 171.4 compare)

Duration: 20:53:37 (00:33:00 idle/loading/preparing)

It is an external MS-DOS (FAT 32)-formatted USB disk, disc Utility tells us. I figured that would be OK since I want to use it for a Windows-machine backup as well.

A: Does this affect the backup-quality?

- missing 'TYPE' info does not sound good...

B: Backup time?

- this was a copy (duplicate) type of backup

bmw

A: Does this affect the backup-quality?

You should be doing backups instead of just a copy. That's what Retrospect is best at, and it's a much more powerful way to use the program. Copying files from an HFS+ volume to a FAT-32 volume can lead to some angst; some files will not copy due to naming issues, and as you see, the metadata is not directly supported.

- missing 'TYPE' info does not sound good...

Depends on the file. OS X no longer requires Type/Creator codes for a file to be associated with an application; file name extensions can perform the same function.

Some legacy applications still put Type/Creator codes in files and require them in order for them to work, while others give extended names but hide the extension (most all Apple applications). And some do both.

Dave

OK. Thanks you both.

In summary: Do backups, and do them to an appropriately formatted disc - HFS+ for Macs and FAT32 (or NFTS? - no, I guess not, my MacBook Pro will not be able to see files there, would it? and I would need to be able to do that for a restore?) for Windows computers.

- What about the Windows part of my MacBook Pro? Can that be backed up to and restored from an HFS+ disc?

Can I locate my backed up file in a backup? I have only had to restore by design, but often I have had to retrieve individual files. I stopped backing up to sets years ago when I ended up swimming in floppies where I could never locate anything. Been duplicating ever since....

In addition, I - perhaps you would call it often - wipe my hard disc and restore everything from a duplicate. Scary, but it seems to clear up some issues with effectiveness etc.

I realize I'm chatting. Should perhaps locate a FAQ or such.

Thanks for your information

bmw