Cannot restore files on networked client

olli

For the past few hours I have tried to restore some files on a client computer on my network, but to no avail. I have seen several malfunctions of Retrospect throughout this process. Here is how I went about:

I want to "Search for files in selected media sets", I follow the the guided process step by step.

- I choose the media set

- I select the destination, I do not want to "Restore to a new folder", so I uncheck the tick box

- I "Always overwrite corresponding files"

- I get the media sets offered which contain the requested data, well , eventually - PROBLEM 1: quite often I do not get any backup offered; then, on the next run - no changes to the parameters - it suddenly comes up with what I expected to see.

- I "Preview" and select the files I want to restore

- I "Continue" and PROBLEM 2: randomly Retrospect stalls

- If I get beyond that stage I click "Start now" and...

- either PROBLEM 3: Retrospect Console dies, Restrospect Engine is left behind in a state so that you cannot connect to it anymore

- or PROBLEM 4: Retrospect Console stalls with the spinning beach ball; for Retrospect Engine see PROBLEM 3

- anyway PROBLEM 5: I get folders created in the client computer's root folder (all at the top level), I do not get any files restored (remember? I wanted to overwrite existing files!)

I should add that the client computer still runs Panther (10.3.9). Firing up Retrospect Client (6.1.130, the one that came with Retrospect 8) I can see the activities Retrospect 8 Engine on the server triggers and those look fine to me.

To make that long story short: I finally dug out Retrospect 6 on the client and did what I wanted to do, successfully. (At this point I am glad that for the Panther machine I still do Retrospect 6 backups.)

To be frank: the restore-to-a-networked-client process is by far not even beta stage or am I missing something?

I could attach my assert_log.utx if somebody tells me how to do it - there is quite some information in there...

Your account now has permission to attach a file in full reply mode.

What happens when you try to restore data to a new folder? Does it hang too?

Did you install the client that came with 8.0? I can't remember if the 6.3 client gets installed with 10.3.9 or if it is still the 6.1 client.

Please attach your assert log. If you have any errors in the OS X console, that would be helpful too.

Your account now has permission to attach a file in full reply mode.

What happens when you try to restore data to a new folder? Does it hang too?

Did you install the client that came with 8.0? I can't remember if the 6.3 client gets installed with 10.3.9 or if it is still the 6.1 client.

Please attach your assert log. If you have any errors in the OS X console, that would be helpful too.

Thanks for granting me permission to post attachments.

Yes, restoring to a new folder shows the same symptoms.

You are right: the 6.3 client does not install on Panther, I installed the 6.1.130 client (I got confused here because I upgraded from 6.1.129 the same day Retrospect 8 arrived, sorry for that).

Here we go: first the assert log, then recent excerpts from my system.log. I hope that helps.

Edited by Guest

6.3 client does not install on Panther, I installed the 6.1.130 client (I got confused here because I upgraded from 6.1.129 the same day Retrospect 8 arrived, sorry for that).

Did you actually try to run the new installer or did you assume it wouldn't work. We are supposed to install the correct version automatically depending on the OS. I want to make sure the 6.3 client installer did the right thing for you.

6.3 client does not install on Panther, I installed the 6.1.130 client (I got confused here because I upgraded from 6.1.129 the same day Retrospect 8 arrived, sorry for that).

Did you actually try to run the new installer or did you assume it wouldn't work. We are supposed to install the correct version automatically depending on the OS. I want to make sure the 6.3 client installer did the right thing for you.

I have retried the install: the Retrospect Client version on my client is 6.3.019 now! So I have rerun my restore test to find out what has changed.

I still see freezes when I step through the restore assistant, but when I can finally start the restore I really get my files restored - not the way I want them to get restored, but I can now see files (before I only got folders on the destination volume's root restored).

Now that I can post attachments, let me simply post some screen shots of a restore operation. I want to restore the file /private/etc/hostconfig on my client machine:

I start off with "Search for files in selected media sets" and then see the attachment for my selections within the assistant.

On the last panel I click "Start Now".

I could identify the following problems :

1) The Restore assistant freezes sporadically on certain actions (for example when it accesses the media set for a preview); I have to force-quit Retrospect Console and to restart the Retrospect Engine.

2) My selection - just /private/etc/hostconfig (see attachment Step 6) - gets ignored : the restore operation restores all files picked up by the filter.

3) The restored folder structure on the client looks fine now, apart from that it resides in /Media Set apfel/apfel/PowerBook G4 HD. That either means that the "Restore to a new folder" check box is ignored or that the restore process needs to strip // from the files/folders to restore.

4) The ownerships, group memberships etc do not get restored!

I hope that helps.

Edited by Guest

2) My selection - just /private/etc/hostconfig (see attachment Step 6) - gets ignored : the restore operation restores all files picked up by the filter

What does this mean? What "filter" (a word that is not used anywhere in this thread)?

3) ... restore process needs to strip // from the files/folders to restore.

Why?

What if you were to restore that file to a different machine then the one from which it was originally copied? I for one would appreciate having a complete path, including the hostname, to help me identify the file's origin.

That's a surprise; I've always found that ACL information is retained no matter what sort of Restore, to all Destinations.

- anyway PROBLEM 5: I get folders created in the client computer's root folder (all at the top level), I do not get any files restored (remember? I wanted to overwrite existing files!)

What _do_ you see in the Finder?

Have you used Terminal to be confirm that the file isn't there? Retrospect will respect a file's metadata, even if that setting renders a file invisible in the Finder.

2) My selection - just /private/etc/hostconfig (see attachment Step 6) - gets ignored : the restore operation restores all files picked up by the filter

What does this mean? What "filter" (a word that is not used anywhere in this thread)?

Step 2, top half of the panel.

3) ... restore process needs to strip // from the files/folders to restore.

Why?

What if you were to restore that file to a different machine then the one from which it was originally copied? I for one would appreciate having a complete path, including the hostname, to help me identify the file's origin.

...which I think is not the purpose of having "Restore to a new folder" unchecked, step 3. Check it to get what you want.

That's a surprise; I've always found that ACL information is retained no matter what sort of Restore, to all Destinations.

ACL information is retained once I do a a full restore (at least for a local restore, I have not tried on a client, yet), however, it does not work for what I tried.

What _do_ you see in the Finder?

Have you used Terminal to be confirm that the file isn't there? Retrospect will respect a file's metadata, even if that setting renders a file invisible in the Finder.

That problem has gone away with the 6.3 client.

Edited by Guest