Verification errors

Hi. I decided to verify the (3) CDs of my backup and was notified of four execution errors. The log file shows the following:

+ Executing Verify at 3/11/2002 11:57 AM

To backup set 7-28-01...

Bad backup set header found (0xa0ecc31c at 932,352)

Backup set format inconsistency (3 at 951296)

Backup set format inconsistency (3 at 951296)

Backup set format inconsistency (3 at 999168)

3/11/2002 12:14:43 PM: 4 execution errors

Completed: 21940 files, 1.7 GB

Performance: 116.5 MB/minute

Duration: 00:17:29 (00:03:09 idle/loading/preparing)

So, what do I do now? I cannot see anything concerning this in the help file. Do I run "repair"?

Would this backup set be useable as is for a restore? It would be nice to think the verify which Express does after each backup would be able to tell one of *any* problems, but.....

Thank you for any advice/suggestions. Dave

Hi Dave,

I'm not exactly sure what the error means, but I can make a somewhat ancillary suggestion. Run an Immediate>Restore and restore just a handful of files. See if it works. The operation could fail, but by then hopefully someone will have posted who knows more about the specific meaning of the error. I have a hunch that it's either nothing to worry about, or perhaps something with the catalog file. If it's the catalog, you can probably repair it. Hope this helps even if I can't be more definitive.

Hi Stuart. Thank you for taking the time to comment. I restored just a couple files with no problems but, as you know, that isn't a very definitive test. I hope somebody from Dantz will comment on exactly what the errors mean. I have no reason to feel it has anything to do with my system but all to do with Retrospect's functions. After all, it was Retrospect that formatted the discs and Retrospect that made the headers. Now they have fixed it so one cannot even send an e-mail to support. I can sympathise with their efforts to save money but I sympathise more with users who buy programs and cannot get free support for at least the first year. I believe most people would agree the problem I ran into is a malfuntion within the program. Again, thank you very much for your thoughts on the errors. Dave

These errors are almost always the sign of device communication problems. A file that reports this error during the backup process will often not be restorable.

In some cases these errors will happen because a file is in use during backup.

If you get the error during a restore (or verify), then it could indicate a device communication problem, or could be a sign that the data was not written to the tape correctly due to a problem that happened during backup. Was verification turned on during backup? Did an error happen during backup

Hello Mr. Mayoff. Thank you for responding. I don't use tapes and have not had problems with my CD writer so "apparently" that's communicating. I do not use any files during a backup but I realize the system could be. Nothing I could do about that. I always use verification and was not notified of any errors during backups. So, it looks as if I may have an unreliable backup which I learned of just because I decided to double check what I had on hand. I was planning to make a backup to new CDs anyway, but a big problem is that down the road these same errors may be lurking in any backup I do at any time and Retrospect would not let me know of them. It seems to me some tweaking should be done to Retrospect to increase its reliability. After all, I could have been at the point where I *had* to do a system restore. That is what I expect from a backup program -- to get me through a disaster. Thank you for your info but, unfortunately, I still do not know anything new. One more thing. Would it do any good to run "repair" or could that do more harm? Thanks. Dave

Well, thanks again Mr. Mayoff. You are very kind and considerate. I do doubt it was the quality of my CDs, although the ones I used for the backup in question were Comp USA rewritables (which I have used many times). I'm about ready to do that backup to new CDs and will this time, for the heck of it, use Sony brand rewritables which I have on hand (my writer is a Sony). Regarding the TDKs, I have intended to keep an eye out for them but, from what I have read in newsgroups, one should be careful as to who actually makes the TDKs. I understand TDKs made by Taiyo Yuden are good but avoid the ones made by ***** in Taiwan...for what it's worth. Thanks again. Dave

Archived