Clients unprotected by Smart Tag?

jascha

When you add a client to a script, it's status should change from unprotected to Ready. The icon will be grey until a backup. Then the icon turns green.

Make sure the script has a valid destination and schedule. Then check the source list for the status of that client

That happens when I explicitly select the client via its checkbox. However, what I was looking for was "Backup Clients Container" functionality, where I select the "All Clients" tag, and clients become part of the script without having to explicitly select them.

That's possible. The script did run, but it didn't complete (see tid/29953). The clients are also protected by a ProActive script that uses the smart tag (it hasn't been able to run yet either). I'm in the process of running a Backup Assistant script of my User Disk for my other issue. Since the smart tag is supposed to work like the old clients container, I'll consider my question answered in the affirmative (and let you know if it proves otherwise).

Thanks,

Jascha

Okay, the good news is that All Clients tag does find the clients. The bad news is that Retrospect won't back them up, says they are empty:

+ Normal backup using Clients Backup at 3/27/2009 2:57 PM (Execution unit 1)

To Media Set FamilyJewels...

3/27/2009 2:58:00 PM: Connected to famousout-lm

* Container famousout-lm was empty (had no volumes)

Can't access backup client Macintosh-5, error -530 ( backup client not found)Macintosh-5, error -530 (%s)]

It appears that the clients are protected now, just not their hard drives :(

This is going from bad to worse...

Ah, okay. So All Clients tag selects the clients, but not their hard drive. To actually backup a client, you must select its hard drive from the sources window, even though the clients are configured to backup their start up volumes. Not sure what use the All Clients tag is...

Anyway, I deselected the All Clients tag and selected each source's hard drive check box and am running a clients backup now.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I deselected all sources except the All Clients smart tag. If the clients are set to Backup Startup volume, the All Clients tag is useless:

+ Normal backup using Clients Backup at 4/10/2009 10:45 PM (Execution unit 1)

To Media Set FamilyJewels...

4/10/2009 10:45:54 PM: Connected to famousout-lm

* Container famousout-lm was empty (had no volumes)

4/10/2009 10:45:59 PM: Connected to phoenix

* Container phoenix was empty (had no volumes)

4/10/2009 10:46:03 PM: Connected to slimjim

* Container slimjim was empty (had no volumes)

4/10/2009 10:46:05 PM: Execution completed successfully

The tag does work if the client is set to Backup All Volumes. This is certainly a regression from 6.1 client containers.