Backup to NAS Share

I am trying to define a NAS share (on a Airport Extreme with disk sharing enabled) as a Media Set. I follow the basic procedure identified in the training video, and Retrospect 8 can recognize the target volume. However, when I attempt to use user credentials, I get the error message "These credentials are not valid". I know they are in fact valid, and if I look at the logs from the Airport Extreme, I see that the login session is OK, and then is immediately closed (in the same second as the session was initiated). Any suggestions on how to maintain a session?

I enter the path format as:

afp://10.0.x.x/Office/Share_1

I know the share path works, because if it is wrong, Retrospect displays a red x next to it and reports an error there rather than with permissions.

The Retrospect log is not time stamped (grrr) but does have many of the following:

can not connect to the network volume: err = -1017

can not connect to the network volume: err = -1116

I seem to get a -1017 error every time I attempt to connect and get an invalid credentials message. On the other hand, the Airport log shows a connection accepted then closed:

Mar 25 19:12:50 Severity:5 AFP login OK from xyz@10.0.x.x.

Mar 25 19:12:50 Severity:5 AFP session from xyz@10.0.x.x closing.

Those are timestamped to when I attempt to add the share to Retrospect.

I follow the basic procedure identified in the training video, and Retrospect 8 can recognize the target volume. However, when I attempt to use user credentials, I get the error message "These credentials are not valid".

What file sharing protocol are you using (ie what URL are you using in the "Server" field of the "Enter credentials to add a network share" dialog")?

What do you mean by "Retrospect 8 can recognize the target volume?" "Target Volume" is not a Retrospect term, and until credentials are accepted Retrospect 8 doesn't seem to recognize much of anything. What are the exact steps you are taking?

The share point name in the Server URL appears to be case sensitive for afp shares (I don't have a CIFS share to test with). Thus:

[color:red]afp://server.company.com/backups/[/color]

will generate a "These credentials are not valid" message, while:

[color:red]afp://server.company.com/Backups/[/color]

will work correctly.

Of course, on a real mac program,

afp://server.company.com

would display a LIST of available share points from which the user could click to add.

You know, point and click? With a mouse?

Dave