Retro 8 schedules don't run?

I have tried and tried but I cannot actually get a schedule to run. I assume that the activities section would show if a scrpt were running, but nothing happens after clicking "run" i have tired manually setting the script and schedule, as well as using the wizard, but nothing happens.

Also, when I set up a repeating schedules, I get lots of dates in 1969 ---?

My setup is Mac OS X server 10.5.6, Retro 8.

I was able to get it to work on my laptop running OS X 10.5.6. The laptop did NOT have Retro 6.1 installed, the server did. I ran the backup wizard on both, told it to backup to a file on an external drive, and hit run. On the server, under "activities". "source" is empty, even though I definitely selected some folders to backup. On the laptop it runs and I get the "stop" and "pause" buttons, which I don't on the server.

My setup is Mac OS X server 10.5.6, Retro 8.

Could you please be more specific?

The Retrospect Application and the Retrospect Engine do not have to run on the same computer; would be helpful if _all_ reports here include information about what's running where (if on the same machine, note that fact).

Dave

Engine and console application are running on the same server.

I set up a script, hit "run", nothing happens. It's a "file" type backup, and it did create the backup set and a folder for it's backups, but nothing runs. It also shows nothing in the "source" field under "activiies", whereas it worked fine on my laptop, and did show the "source" under activities on that computer (again, engine and console on same machine).

Also, for some reason, it mounted an external share 6 times. What happened was, I set up an external share called "FMBackups". After trying to get R8 working, I gave up and re-enabled my schedule on R6. R6 reported that "FMBackups" was mounted multiple times. I looked at /Volumes, and there were FMbackups, FMBackups-1, FMBackups-2, etc up to 6 times.

Why can't it just use external shares that are already mounted, as was the case in R-6?

I am running "Chrono Agent" (part of "Chronosync"). Maybe there's a conflict?

I disabled "Chrono Agent" on the server running Retro engine, no change. I also tried to admin the engine running on the server from another computer, no change.

Then I ran engine and console on a Mac Pro running 10.5.6 (not server). I was able to start a small backup task (backing up to file), but it crashed before completion - no crash report, just whiff gone.

On the server running server 10.5.6, tasks are not getting added under "activities" at all - I get the slick little graphic and yellow flashing, but nothing happens.

Other bugs:

The same remote share will get added again each time you start the console. So you might have /Volumes/remoteshare, /Volumes/remoteshare-1, etc. Not good.

When making a file target, clicking "new folder" makes a new folder, but does not actually add it as your selection. you have to go back and do that.

No logs are actually displayed anywhere in the program when you click on "log".

This is quite possibly the worst software release I have ever seen. Also, in some respects it is quite un-Mac like. For example, the file browser is terrible - why didn't they use the standard mac API's to browse with? And the disclosure triangles are practically invisible.

You don't get any errors in the OS X Console log or an update to the assert_log.utx file?

We can't use a standard OS X browser because those API's can't be called over the network when the Console and UI are on different computers. We will be making changes to the browser to make it MUCH better.

You may wan to call Tech Support so we can officially investigate what you are seeing. Support is free for at least the first 30 days.

I did not find an assert_log.utx on my system (i did a unix find and it's not there, believe me). I did find an operations_log.utx:

That operation was not licensed.

+ $[15]Retrospect$[16] version 8.0.594.1

Launched at 3/24/2009 5:54 PM

Code J69L-77H6-AB2U-WYDN for $[*!20926,,14,+3]$[15]Desktop$[16] was successfully added.

$[//]+ Executing $[1]Verify$[2] at 3/24/2009 5:59 PM$[//䳸놩é©tå¸ë†©/+ Executing $[1]%s$[2] at 3/24/2009 5:59 PM]$[/s/놩è„tz兞놩/Verify/]

To Media Set $[01]$[*!20602,,14,+3]Daily FW$[02]...

$[//]3/24/2009 5:59:03 PM: Execution completed successfully$[//ç˜ë†©é©t瞘놩/3/24/2009 5:59:03 PM: %s]$[/s/놩è„tz硦놩/Execution completed successfully/]

$[//]+ Executing $[1]Verify$[2] at 3/24/2009 5:59 PM$[//䳸놩é©tå¸ë†©/+ Executing $[1]%s$[2] at 3/24/2009 5:59 PM]$[/s/놩è„tz兞놩/Verify/]

To Media Set $[01]$[*!20602,,14,+3]Daily FW$[02]...

$[//]3/24/2009 5:59:05 PM: Execution completed successfully$[//ç˜ë†©é©t瞘놩/3/24/2009 5:59:05 PM: %s]$[/s/놩è„tz硦놩/Execution completed successfully/]

illegal URL

can not connect to the network volume: err = -1216

illegal URL

illegal URL

illegal URL

can not connect to the network volume: err = -1017

SMTP: opening addr 127.0.0.1

Exit at 3/24/2009 6:50 PM

Launched at 3/24/2009 6:50 PM

Exit at 3/24/2009 7:03 PM

Launched at 3/25/2009 11:00 AM

StucIdent: Inquiry(mmc) (error -536870203)

StucIdent: Inquiry(mmc) (error -536870203)

Exit at 3/25/2009 11:14 AM

Launched at 3/25/2009 1:07 PM

Exit at 3/25/2009 1:12 PM

I called them and got a case number, but the hold time was too long after that. I'll have to try again later.

Thanks.

Edited by Guest