can't add client, password incorrect

I saw a similar (same?) problem discussed in one of the late beta's. I see the clients listed, pick one and select 'Add' and am prompted for the password. It is rejected. I have been very careful to type the password correctly and have also tried the public/private key method. Nothing has worked. Tried various clients, including the latest.

I have two client macs, both with the same problem. All macs are on the latest Leopard versions, everything up to date.

I am using the trial version.

Any suggestions?

Edited by Guest

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Adding directly results in the the message 'An error occurred'. This was with the firewall of client and server set to the default 'Allow all incoming connections' and I also tested with it set to 'Set access for specific...' on both. I had then added Retrospect on the server and Retrospect Client on the client. I also turned off the client, then did the cmd-off thing so the client said 'Not Running' and then turned it on again to get the firewall prompt, to which I said yes. retroclient then appeared in the allowed list.

Always got the 'An error occurred' message. This had the red circle with 'x' alongside the ip address. This was the correct address as reported by Retrospect when it did the auto scan.

Thanks for helping, by the way. I'm sure we'll get there!

Another user reported a similar issue.

Once he uninstalled the old client and installed the 6.3 client the login worked without a password error.

What Mac OS version is the Console running on?

What Mac OS version is the Engine running on?

What Mac OS version is the client running on?

I unsinstalled the client as per advice in Topic#29180.

I now try reinstalling the client with the pubkey.dat, and get 'Error creating file. 1008:5,-5000 Access denied error'.

I also find sometimes I run the installer and it asks for my password. Then it says it is authenticating the installer. Then it vanishes altogether. I find LaunchCFMApp is running at around 90+ CPU usage for as long as I allow. If I quit it and try again I get either the above error, or sometimes just the same thing again, it vanishes leaving that task running. I also saw this behaviour before but thought it a separate issue and did not mention it. It occurs on both clients.

Any further ideas?

I now try reinstalling the client with the pubkey.dat, and get 'Error creating file. 1008:5,-5000 Access denied error'.

-What are the exact steps you are taking when you see the error?

I also find sometimes I run the installer and it asks for my password. Then it says it is authenticating the installer. Then it vanishes altogether. I find LaunchCFMApp is running at around 90+ CPU usage for as long as I allow. If I quit it and try again I get either the above error, or sometimes just the same thing again, it vanishes leaving that task running.

The "Install OS X Client" application is entirely different from the Retrospect application. It's not even written by EMC, but instead is a VISE application with a Retrospect customized script. If you are having problems running this third party application, it suggests other issues with your system.

Knowing what steps you are taking when you see a -5000 error in relation to the Client installer would be quite helpful here.

oK, that problem seems to have been due to following the earlier procedure from topic 29180. Manually deleting stuff results in the problem. I did that because I thought the normal uninstaller was not fully removing the client. I fixed it by running an uninstaller from an earlier client. These issues are re-produceable on two macs, one of which is just a few weeks old. I do not have these problems with earlier clients, which I imagine are using the same version of VISE. I cannot imagine that application has been updated in quite a while, from the look of it.

So now I'm back to the original issue whereby I cannot connect to the clients.

Sure, sorry. I click on + to add sources. It offers me a list of the client macs. I select one and it asks for the password. The password is then rejected. This is with either the public key method or manually entering a password on the client when setting it up.

Both clients macs behave the same. I have no such problems with Retrospect 6.1. I am using the demo version of 8.

When you attempt to login a client, the status on the client should show a connection is in progress. If you don't even see the client showing this active connection, then a communication problem between the backup server and client could be part of this problem.

Can you try with the Retrospect engine temporarily installed on a different Mac? That may help narrow down causes.

I closed the client on one mac and installed the engine on that machine. The Console has connected to it fine. The Sources list shows all the volumes local to that system as you'd expect. So the console can communicate with the engine between the same two systems. I do also screen share both ways and all that sort of thing, so they seem pretty well connected!

Is that sufficient, or do I need to test connect it to a client? The remaining client is running an older version which is working with version 6 and I don't want to disrupt that.

Actually, I have another. It's a PowerMacPro. Assuming the client runs on PowerPC I'll give that a go...

I now installed the client to the PowerMacPro, it appeared in the list on the console (which is contorolling teh remote engine) and the same problem occurs. This was using a password manually entered when setting up the client, not a public key.

So this is also the 3rd client to which I cannot connect.

To be clear, what version of the client have you installed on the computer you are having trouble with? It should be 6.3

Is the OS X firewall turned off on the client and backup computer?

If the problem continues, you may want to call Tech support directly so we can try the process with you on the phone and try to narrow down the bug or configuration problem.

Still having the same issue. This should be something you guys at EMC must can invoke using two clean installed Mac's too.

Jar Sconce, this is your second post on the board, with the first post stating simply "Same issue here."

It would really help if you didn't depend on the description of someone else, but instead provided complete information about your setup and steps.

Without doubt, if the testing lab at EMC had encountered a problem with two clean Mac's they would have addressed it already.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, me again!

I now have the latest client, 6.3.019, installed on the client mac.

Retrospect 8 still says 'an error occurred' when I manually add the client and offer the password.

If I close version 8 and run version 6, it works with the client perfectly well, no problems. I give the password and everything proceeds correctly and backups work.

I believe this proves, once and for all, there is no communication problem or firewall issue between the systems. The client is also fine. The problem lies with the version 8 backup program itself. I can also, as previously requested, run version 8 console on the one mac with the engine running on the remote. This also works ok.