Volume of Client cannot be viewed

Hello,

I have a problem with my Mac client (10.4.7) - Retrospect 8 runs on 10.5.6. The Mac client has 2 volumes: OS volumes and a second one. When I want to browse the second volume in Retrospect 8 (sources) there is nothing listed! The OS boot volume is listed fine.

console says:

23.03.09 21:56:11 com.retrospect.RetroEngine[157] #2> !Error: Scanning incomplete, error -1101 ( file/directory not found).

23.03.09 21:56:11 Retrospect[458] BrowseController::initView exception: LiveVolumeTree::ScanFolder failed; error = -1101

It works fine with Retrospect 6.1 - must be a bug?

regards

Robert

If you go to Sources and go to the options Tab for that client, does it show you all of the disks on that computer?

What version of the client is installed.

Also note from the system requirements:

Mac OS X or Mac OS X Server 10.3.9, 10.4.11, or 10.5.5 or later are the only officially tested client OS versions. Other client OS's may work but they have not yet been tested in our lab.

If you go to Sources and go to the options Tab for that client, does it show you all of the disks on that computer?

Yes, I see both volumes in the option tab.

What version of the client is installed.

Client version is 6.2.234 and I tried 6.3.019 with the same problem.

My Mac version is 10.4.7 and I don't like to update to 10.4.11. Retrospect 6.1 works fine with this client!

Looking forward for your help.

Robert

What if you select the volumes within this options tab?

both are selected in the option tab.

What can you tell us about the external disk? How is it connected? What is the format type (FAT32, Mac OS Extended, etc).

Ok, my mistake. I'm talking about 2 partitions! Both are on the internal harddisk and HFS+.

If you forget the client and add it again, do you still see this problem?

same problem :(

When I run the backup I get (for second partition):

Scanning incomplete, error -1101 ( file/directory not found)

Scanning incomplete, error -1101 (%s)]

Robert

I am not sure what is causing this but i wrote up a bug.

You may want to try a test install of Retrospect directly on the client to see if any different errors are reported when trying to access that 2nd volume.

What do you mean by "Retrospect directly"? Retrospect Console? Engine? Client?

Is it really necessary to install Console and Engine? I'm running mySQL, apache, .. on the Client and want to keep the mac clean - it's not a test machine.

regards

Robert

Hello,

I tried to install Retrospect 8 on a Tiger (10.4.10) installation. RetroEngine works but RetroConsole crashes a second after launch:

Command: Retrospect

Path: /Users/admin/Desktop/EMC Retrospect 8/Retrospect.app/Contents/MacOS/Retrospect

Parent: WindowServer [423]

Version: 8.0 (8.0.594.1)

PID: 615

Thread: Unknown

Link (dyld) error:

Symbol not found: _kCAMediaTimingFunctionEaseIn

Referenced from: /Users/admin/Desktop/EMC Retrospect 8/Retrospect.app/Contents/MacOS/Retrospect

Expected in: /System/Library/Frameworks/QuartzCore.framework/Versions/A/QuartzCore

When I run the RetroClient on 10.4.10 I cannot connect from the Console (on 10.5.6) because the password is wrong ?!?

Seems that Retrospect 8 isn't compatible to Tiger at all

regards

Robert

From the KB:

Macintosh computers that run Retrospect

Retrospect 8.0 console (manages the engine)

Intel processor

Mac OS X 10.5.5 or later

At least 1 GB RAM

50 MB hard disk space

The Retrospect console need not be installed on the same Mac as the Retrospect engine.

Retrospect 8.0 engine (performs backups and restores)

Intel processor

Mac OS X 10.4.11 or 10.5.5 or later

At least 2 GB RAM

10-15 GB of hard disk space for each concurrent activity

Storage for backups

Note: For the initial release of Retrospect 8, the Retrospect console and engine do not run on PowerPC machines; this ability will be added in a future update.

Mac OS X Clients

PowerPC G3, G4, or G5, or any Intel processor

Mac OS X or Mac OS X Server 10.3.9, 10.4.11, or 10.5.5 or later

RAM that meets Apple's guidelines for each OS

Note: Backing up Mac OS X Server clients requires Retrospect Multi Server or Retrospect Single Server with available Server Client Licenses.

Windows Clients

Pentium processor or later

Windows 2000, XP, or Vista; Windows 2000 Server, Windows Server 2003 or 2008

RAM that meets Microsoft's guidelines for each OS

Note: Backing up Windows Server clients requires Retrospect Multi Server or Retrospect Single Server with available Server Client Licenses.

Linux Clients

x86-based system running Red Hat Linux, Red Hat Enterprise Linux, SUSE Linux Desktop, SUSE Linux Professional, SUSE Linux Standard Server, or SUSE Enterprise Server operating system.

glibc version 2 or later

Note: In order to use the graphical user interface (GUI) to change options and preferences, Java version 1.2 or later is also required.

Storage Devices

Retrospect supports a wide variety of storage devices as the destination for backups, including hard drives (both direct- and network-attached), tape drives and libraries (connected via FireWire, SCSI, iSCSI, Fibre Channel), and removable disk drives. See the Retrospect Device Support Database for a complete list of supported tape drives and libraries. Backing up to optical media such as CD, DVD, and Blu-ray in the initial release requires manually activating this feature; please see below for details.

Right now the only supported client OS's are listed in the system requirements doc. We would like to test and officially support more client system versions but I don't know when this will happen. Based on your feedback, it sounds like that OS version may not be working correctly with multiple partitions

the second partition has no special characters - it's called Media.

I'm using client version 6.2.234 and it worked fine with retrospect 6.1. On my second instalation (10.4.10 shipped with my MacPro) I tried 6.2.234 and 6.3.019 and Retrospect 8 cannot connect to the MacPro / RetroClient because the password is wrong. I'm 100% shure it is correct.

Hope this helps to find the problem

Robert

Hi Robin,

ok I solved the problems!

first the password issue:

I installed Retrospect 8 without my license! I thought I could use the demo to try. But Retrospect reports "password wrong" instead of something like "no license" or "no more free clients". Maybe you can find a better message for that?

second issue:

The problem is (I forgot) that I manually mounted the partition to a special path! So RetroClient is looking for /Volumes/Media but the real path is /Media. Retrospect 6.1 had no problem with this behavior and Retrospect 8 doesn't like this. It seems that Retrospect 8 just takes the volume name and assumes that the path is /Volumes/name! I don't think this is a good why ...

At the moment I solved it with a symbolic link. Now RetroClient 6.3.019 works fine on Tiger in connection with Retrospect 8 on Leopard.

Would be very pleased if you could fix both "bugs" :)

Thanks a lot

Robert

Edited by Guest