Consistent problem backing up more than 1 Exchange 2007 mailbox

Any time I back up a single mailbox, it works. However, anything after the 1st mailbox (in a single script), I receive the following output (no error):

Copying *username

No files need to be copied

Execution completed successfully

I am running Retrospect version 7.6.123 with driver update/hot fix version 7.6.2.101. This is with Exchange 2007 on Windows server 2008.

This is a big limitation, obviously, & looks like the behavior has been seen in the past (I also posted this to a thread which hasn't seen any activity for 5 months or so which sounded similar).

Help?

Thanks,

Rob Donat

Thanks for your response Robin. I have tried both scheduled and manual backups, as well as multiple "single" mailbox sources in these scripts. I just tried a proactive backup and I got a "Retrospect error code -3407 (unexpected provider error) Reproted by function mlocScan ... (there is a problem connecting to the mailbox).

I have gotten these sporadically, but sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Sometimes when I click "Preview" it shows me all that mailboxes contents, & sometimes it tells me there was an error.

If I try to run a backup and it gets the -3407, then I preview (and it sees all files) then it will complete the backup.

It's very temperamental.

I have followed the RBU configuration, and have have had roughly the same luck getting it to work both as RBU as as administrator. The only thing I'm not 100% on is how to make RBU a local admin (I have Exchange 2007 running on the same box) but that seems not to be an issue as it works some of the time.

Thanks much,

Rob.

I have reviewed the RBU steps and am 99% sure they are all taken care of. These are definitely "active" mailboxes and I've removed/re-added them many times (by unlicensing/re-licensing). Since it works occasionally, I doubt it's a permissions issue. This is brand new, very fast hardware. Any chance we could do a WebEx during business hours to rule out any typical potential issues? Thanks, Rob.

Additionally, when running a manual (Recycle) backup, I chose 2 mailboxes, and the backup ran immediately, the log telling me "No files need to be copied" for both mailboxes. Then I clicked on Preview which showed there were files to copy, and then when I clicked on Backup it properly backed BOTH mailboxes up (this is a first for a while). I'm now trying a "full" backup where it previews everything first but it will take a LONG time and I suspect it will do what it did earlier, which is to preview properly, then throw a -3407 for every single file.

It seems like if it very recently previews the files to back up, it is successful -- otherwise it throws the -3407 OR states "no files need to be copied."

Any chance we could do a WebEx during business hours to rule out any typical potential issues? Thanks, Rob.

From the forum rules:

This forum is not an official method for contacting technical support. If you need immediate technical support, you can contact technical support directly at http://www.emcinsignia.com/contactsupport

I appreciate that advice, but I wouldn't call that link "direct..."

I have scoured through all the places on that page to buy support, ask about support packages, etc., and find the only relevant link which is "email support."

I click this and get a blank page (using several browsers).

http://www.retrospect.com/supportupdates/service/email/

"support contact information (software)" takes me to a page listing tens of hardware manufacturers, and tells me that 'Customers may be subject to a $69.95 fee to receive technical support directly from EMC Insignia Support.'

Should I call this number & refer them to this forum? I have been a customer for 4 years & hope to get this resolved quickly. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Just wondering if anyone found a resolution to this problem? I have the same issue. I can backup all mailboxes if I manually hit the preview button, but if I run a script or do a manual backup, but don’t hit the preview button, I get the first mailbox backed up and the rest say no files need to be copied.

I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling, unlicensing/relicensing and many of the other things suggested, but nothing seems to work.

Thanks,

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Had a thought. When I go to restore from a snapshot, Restrosepct claims there is no snapshot on file. But if I go to the Catalog directory, I see snapshots with current dates. I realized my permissions were not set. I am storing catalog files on custom location (a second hard disk away from primary drive where Retrospect is installed). I went to the parent folder and give the RBU account complete access. I am curious to see if this helps the sitution. I wonder if the RBU doesn't have the permission to access the catalog files and thus the error. I will try to run the script tonight again and see if anything changes.

• 4 months later...

Last night I updated the functional level of Active Directory to 2003, moved the small business Active Directory out of the mix, and still have the same problem. It intermittently works to backup a single mailbox, but never more than one, and many times it just errors out (-3407) for all items. It's been 5 months since the last release, and since I was told there was a fix coming to this known issue.

Thanks for the info regarding updating Active Directory. We have a Server 2000 box still running as DC which will be removed within 30 days from now. Then I will upgrade AD.

I have posted another issue I am now having.

I want to say some other things, but I will save that for my next conversation with an EMC rep.