RESTORE & WINDOWS FILE PROTECTION

mber467

I had to do a restore on my HDD. I reformatted it and installed XP SP2 and Retrospect Express 7.5. I did a live restore of the complete volume. The restore was successful. During the restore, I got a message from Windows: "Windows File Protection" "Files that are required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognized versions. To maintain stability, Windows must restore the original versions of these files." Choices are 'Retry', 'More Information', and 'Cancel'.

Now that the restore is done, Retrospect says to reboot. Do I need to let Windows File Protection restore the originals or just ignore it believing that Retrospect has got everything right on the HDD?

We don't normally see those errors during the restore and I am not sure why they are happening to you. Usually Retrospect will restore around these active system files, leaving them untouched. At this point I think your best option is to try and restart, but it is possible that the computer will have startup trouble due to the errors.

Thanks, Robin. As long as it took for Retrospect to complete the restore, I wasn't to eager to reboot without knowing what I was doing. In my mind, Windows may be reacting to any updates that have been installed to Windows since the CD was made. I just hope I don't have to do this all over again. I'll let you know what happens.

Mark