ERROR 204 With Magneto-Optical Drives

I've got Retrospect Backup 5.0.25 running on MacOS X 10.1.5 with an Adaptec 2906 SCSI card (OS X drivers) and a Fujitsu DynaMO 640 Magneto-Optical SCSI drive attached.

When I try to restore information recorded on the cartridges (under OS 9 and Retrospect 4) I get an Error 204 Device Busy.

I have also noticed this when try to preform a copy function (i'd like to consolidate all the info on the MOs to a DVD via the Mac's SuperDrive).

When I restart under OS 9, however, everything works OK.

Anyone know this being a potential incompatibility? Any ideas? Suggestions? Things I should look for?

Thanks!

- Chris

Thanks for replying so quickly IrenaS!

You ask if this is happening to all cartridge under OS X. I do not have any other cartridge based hardware other than two MO drives. Since I posted last, I've hooked up my newer Fujitsu DynaMO 640SE to the SCSI card and have encountered the same problem. So, at least two MO cartridge systems are displaying the problem. If you think it would help, I can dredge up a SCSI ZIP drive and see what happens.

You also ask if the cartridges work under the finder. The answer to that is YES. I can drag data to and from the MO disks without a problem. Both MO drives.

I checked out the SCSI troubleshooting and have verified proper termination, used multiple cables and the MO drive, in both cases, was the only drive attached to the SCSI card.

Currently, I'm looking at things that would use the cartridge at the finder level. I've turned off FileSharing (and AppleTalk for good measure), disabled Norton's FileSaver and Auto-Protect functions. I cannot find any other processes, though, that may use the disk. (I'm operating under the assumption that the "disk busy" error indicates that the finder or OS X is doing something with the disk at the same time Retrospect wants to). I've had no luck with these attempted fixes.

Any other suggestions?

- Chris

Can you tell me a bit about how you've set up your restore? What is your source for the restore and what is the destination?

Which method of restore are you using: restore entire disk, restore files from a backup, or search?

Where is the catalog file stored?

Can you back up without errors?

The restore is the "search for files and folders variety". I've picked a catalog (1996 Archives) which had been created in '96, '97 under Retrospect version 3 or 4. It has been used repeatedly under Retrospect 4 to restore files and folders. I copied the catalog file over to the new PowerMac DP533 with SuperDrive we selected to use for ongoing Archives (essentially for the SuperDrive and ability to Archive to DVD).

I execute the search and am prompted to insert 2-1996 Archives. Upon insertion, the gears rotate some and it looks as if it's going to go. At that time, the dialog comes up with Device Trouble: Device is Busy Error 204 (Device Busy). And then the restore exits.

The same thing happens when I go to the tools tab and use the copy function. I first ran into the problem trying to copy the contents from MO to DVD using this area of Retrospect. I then noticed when I had to restore some files from '96 that the problem was also occurring with search restores. When trying the catalog copy function, the problem occurs after the DVD is inserted, is found, (the MO is already in the drive, then Retrospect prompts for the DVD) and the execution is about to begin. Again, the gears spin and within 2 seconds, the error dialog (204).

The catalog file is stored on the local internal HD (stock HD) in the user/documents/ folder.

I haven't yet tried to backup to the MO. The machine does, however, backup to a FireWire VXA tape drive. I realize that's an entirely different media on an entirely different BUS though ;)

I'll try to backup to the MO and let you know what happens.

- Chris

Archived