Multiple Recycled Backups on 1 tape?

Want to know if this is possible:

I am backing up our FirstClass email Server, and the entire backup only takes about 2GB of Tape space. I am backing up to a 50GB AIT.

I would like to keep multiple backups on the same tape if that is possible (so I can restore from this week, last week, the week before, etc).

I need to Recycle the backup each time, since FirstClass does not like incremental backups, so that is why I want to keep several Recycled backups on one tape (since I have plenty of space to do so).

How can I accomplish this?

Hi BVD,

In your script for the FCIS backup, go to "Options," click on "More Choices," choose "Matching" from the list and uncheck "Match Source Files to Catalog." This essentially makes every backup a full backup. Do not choose Recycle backup or Retro will erase your tape.

I've done incremental backups of a client's FCIS post office and haven't had any trouble with it. The main issue I'm aware of is problems backing up an active server. I always shut it down before attempting a backup. I'm sure someone out there has an Event Handler for this, my client isn't terribly concerned with backing up his email nightly so I've never bothered.

So, are you saying that if I

"In your script for the FCIS backup, go to "Options," click on "More Choices," choose "Matching" from the list and uncheck "Match Source Files to Catalog." This essentially makes every backup a full backup. Do not choose Recycle backup or Retro will erase your tape."

I will have multiple backups on 1 tape? I would like to have 4 backups on 1 tape, one for each week of the month, so I can restore any of those 4 weeks. Just like have 4 separate tapes, each with a Recycled Backup?

That would be great!

Can you verify this? Thanks

>Just like have 4 separate tapes, each with a Recycled Backup?

Well, it's not exactly like that, but you will have the data you need. You can have four full backups on a single tape, but there are a couple of rules and guidelines to keep in mind:

- Any given tape can only belong to one backup set. You can't have one tape that contains data for four different sets. This is not an impediment to your goal, just a point to be clear about. Under your scenario you would be backing up to the same backup set each week.

- You must not disable Snapshots in the backup script. Snapshot is the feature that allows you to restore a disk to it's state on the day of a given backup.

- You really ought to have more than one backup tape. Maybe this was part of your plan and it just hasn't been mentioned. I am convinced that Retrospect software is the best built and tested product out there, but bulletproof software and regular backups won't save you if your only backup tape becomes damaged or worn out. I try to have four sets with at least one offsite at all times. If that's not practical for you, try to have at least two sets.

I will try to be more clear about what I want to do.

I want to keep a years worth of backups, but I don't want to 'waste' space on tapes.

Since our FirstClass Backup will only take about 1/25th of the space on one of these tapes, I would like to keep an entire month on one tape (4 weeks).

That way, at the end of the year, I will have 12 tapes, each with 4 separate backups (weeks) on each tape.

So, if someone deleted an email from their mailbox, and they had it Feb 6, but they told me in June, I could pull out the Feb backup tape, and restore the 2nd week backup, and retrieve their lost email.

BUT, I would need to be able to retreive any one of the 4 weeks.

If it cannot be done, I will just purchase more tapes (52 instead of 12). If it can be done though, I would rather keep 4 separate backups on 1 tape, and be able to restore from any of those 4 separate backups.

thanks

But will turning off matching still replace the previous backup, or add to the backup?

I want to keep 4 separate backups on one tape, so that I can restore from any of the 4 separate backups, 1 for each week of the month.

That way, at the end of the year, I will have 12 tapes instead of 52.

Is that possible?

OK that makes sense, and I think my strategy remains sound. As long as you turn off matching, every backup will be a full (non-incremental) backup. It's like a recycle backup with the important exception that new backup sessions are added to the tape, unlike recycle where the tape is erased and the new backup overwrites the previous sessions.

Archived