too many backups

bikerick

Hi: I back up my PC computer files on my external hard drive using Retrospect 6.5. I use a progressive backup three times per week, since 2005. Apparently, that external drive's backup folder filled up and so automatically a new back up folder was created on my computer hard drive. I didn't know that. Since the newer backup files were now on my computer, I was backing up my back ups every other day, filling up my computer hard drive. Do I need every back up from 2005? I read something about recycling old back ups. How is that done? Since the back ups are only progressive, if I recycle them, do I lose a full back up if I recycle an entire back up folder? What happens if I delete all of 2005 and 2006 backups for example? Is there some simple tutorial or help topic that discusses how to manage back ups over time? Thanks, Rick

Hi: I had gone through your website before posting and went back again, but did not see an answer to my question. The closest entry said "if so, consult your Retrospect User Guide for information about Recycle and New Media back up," but a further search turned up no such information. If you could point me to the specific tutorial that would helpful. Or, alternatively, is the answer to my question as simple as I should delete all my old backup folders and just start again from scratch? Rick

The options button when doing an immediate>Backup contains a recycle backup option. The schedule in the backup script has a recycle backup option. Creation of run documents contains a recycle backup choice. The options tab of the backup set properties contains a recycle option. Configure>Backup Sets>Properties>options

The User's guides are found at http://kb.dantz.com. Those documents are in PDF. Once in the PDF you can do a find for the word Recycle.