matshita 8121

retrospect 5 can't restore my files stored with retrospect 4.3. I am running retrospect express 5 (latest version Retrospect Build 205 and Driver Update 2.8) both for os9 and osx on a titanium 667 (new) with matshita 8121. Problem: there is no way to get back data from cds I wrote with retrospect express 4.3.

retrospect is not able to read the cds.

using a desktop G4 733 the internal drive shows no problems and the disks are readable.

how can I get my files back on my titanium???

Do the CDs show up at all in Retrospect's Configure > Devices window? Does the drive show up there?

If you boot into OS 9 can you see the CDs?

If you start a new backup to a new CD, then eject and reinsert the CD does it show up properly?

Sorry. I also posted that thread in Mac OS 9 forum. Anyway:

CDs of the initial backup cannot be read by the finder of OS 9/OS X. I restored them on the G4/733 with retrospect express 5. It is not able to browse. Inserting one of the backup cds without running retrospect, the finder alerts: "You have inserted a disk containing no volumes that mac OS X can read. To use the unreadable volumes, click Initialize. To continue with the disk inserted, click Continue." I NEVER EVER clicked Initialize, but clicking Continue nothing will happen. The cd won't be shown on the desktop.

I recently tried a new backup. No problems to backup/to restore. The execution is succesfully completed.

I guess tha cds written by retrospect with YAMAHA 4416 cannot be read by Panasonic CD/RW 8121. Probably the panasonic is not sensitive enough to read the data in opposition the internal drive of G4/733 does read the same cds. Do you agree?

Your Retrospect Backup CDs will *never* be visible in the Finder. That's because the backup discs aren't finalized to be HFS, ISO9660, or UDF mountable formats (to allow future appends) so can never be read in a CD-ROM drive which requires one of these formats to mount a disc.

The CDs made by one supported Retrospect CD-RW drive should be readable in any other supported Retrospect CD-RW drive, as long as you access the CD through Retrospect.

It is possible that, in a few cases, this won't be true. This would normally be due to minor device or communication problems. It's more common with tape drives (where the heads of one drive will be very slightly out of alignment, and tapes created there can't be read elsewhere). It can certainly happen with CD drives as well, though, especially a much older drive and a much newer drive.

Archived