Dirty Head Error Messages on all backups

Hi, I've been using Retrospect for many, many years. I just recently bought a Jan 08- 8 core mac pro Running 10.5.2 Leopard.

I'm running Retrospect Backup v6.1.230.

I only use Retrospect for Archiving to DVD-R and this is my first time trying to archive files on this machine. When I run an archive operation, I get repeated errors like this:

Trouble reading: “32-archive 2005†(1056), error 206 (drive reported a failure: dirty heads, bad media, etc.).
	File “MU-splitframe.mov†appears incomplete, path: “MARRIAGE UNCENSORED/AE Renders/MU-splitframe.movâ€.

If I try to go back and restore the files, it seems to work just fine, and the restored files seem to be OK. Naturally though I'm VERY afraid to delete the original files from my archive folder for fear that there might be something wrong witht the backup set.

This is a very new machine,and I have no problems reading or writing discs using finder or toast.

has anyone else encountered this?

Thanks

Edited by Guest

thanks Robin for the reply. Here is my drive info from system profiler:

PIONEER DVD-RW  DVR-112D:

Firmware Revision:	BC14
 Interconnect:	ATAPI
 Burn Support:	Yes (Apple Shipping Drive)
 Cache:	0 KB
 Reads DVD:	Yes
 CD-Write:	-R, -RW
 DVD-Write:	-R, -RW
 Write Strategies:	CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO
 Media:	Insert media and refresh to show available burn speeds

The Retrospect 6.1 driver update version is 6.1.15.101

And the media I'm using are comp-usa branded DVD-R's. My current storage set uses about 30 of these same discs that I had archived to on my older G-5 machine before I got the new macpro. I never had a media related issue before.

Thanks

Rob

Hi Robin, I think you misunderstand me. It now happens on all disks. in the archive I just finished there were 8 disks, and it did the same thing on all of them.

I had an older version of Retrospect on this same machine, and it would not complete an archive at all. so updated to thelatest version, and now it will write files to disk, but it always gives those error messages. My last log was thousands of lines long!

I saw some other posts where people were talking about packet size, vs. write at once using DVD-R disks, and that it would be better to use DVD+R. could that be related to my problem?

Thanks

rob

the media I'm using are comp-usa branded DVD-R's

I'm VERY afraid to delete the original files

Yes, I'd also be very afraid to delete the original files if the only copies I had were on big box retail branded DVD-R disks.

Your data is valuable; get yourself some high-quality DVD+R blank disks.

http://www.supermediastore.com/taiyo-yuden-dvd-plus-r-media.html

Dave

So I'm going to try and get some DVD+R disks (higher end name brand) and see if the errors stop.

Robin, I have a built in distrust of hard drives for long term storage. emergency backup is fine, but I wouldn't expect a hard drive to work after five years of sitting on a shelf. I Archive to DVD because of teh long shelf life. I'm really waiting on Blue Ray to get just a bit cheaper so I'll have to do even LESS swapping.

I'm out of town the next 3 days on business, but I'll report back what happens when I try the DVD+R disks.

thanks!

DVD does not have the shelf life you think it has. Using Comp-USA media is probably not a good thing for long term storage. See below:

http://www.clir.org/pubs/reports/pub121/sec4.html

If left in a very humid environment, moisture—and oxygen—will eventually reach the aluminum, causing it to lose its reflectivity. The normally shiny aluminum, which resembles silver, becomes oxide-dull and much less reflective, like the color of a typical aluminum ladder. The combination of high humidity and increased temperatures will accelerate the oxidation rate.

The life expectancy of a ROM disc therefore depends on the environmental conditions to which it is exposed over time.

Most tests of optical disc life expectancy are performed with recordable discs (CD-R, DVD-R, DVD+R). The tests are generally performed by manufacturers, and the discs are usually categorized by the metal and dye types used in the disc. These discs use gold, silver, or a silver alloy for the reflective layer instead of aluminum as in ROM discs. Gold will not corrode but is expensive. Silver is more reflective and cheaper than gold but is susceptible to corrosion if exposed to sulfur dioxide, an air pollutant that can penetrate the disc in the same way oxygen can—with moisture. Manufacturers use various silver alloys to help inhibit silver corrosion, and most R discs available today use a silver alloy reflective layer. The chance of silver corrosion from exposure to sulfur dioxide is less than the chance of aluminum oxidation caused by high humidity. Nonetheless, keeping the disc in a filtered "clean air" environment can minimize or eliminate its exposure to sulfur dioxide. With proper storage, these discs will outlast the technology.

R discs use a dye-based layer (organic dye) for recording data. These are "write-once" discs and cannot be erased by CD or DVD drives. The organic dye used in the data layer of R discs degrades naturally but slowly over time. High temperatures and humidity will accelerate the process. Prolonged exposure to UV light can degrade the dye properties and eventually make the data unreadable. Heat buildup within the disc, caused by sunlight or close proximity to heated light sources, will also accelerate dye degradation.

Manufacturers claim that CD-R and DVD-R discs have a shelf life of 5 to 10 years before recording, but no expiration dates are indicated on CD-R, DVD-R, or DVD+R packaging, nor are there published reports of tests to verify these claims. Still, it would be prudent, in light of these claims, to purchase new discs as they are needed rather than to order large quantities and stockpile them for future use.