Fix the emails to be useful

ragge

I like to get an email when something fails. I think that is a good feature. Retrospect server 7.5 and 7.6 does something akin to that, but the feature is a tad broken so that it almost isn't useful. Please fix that!

1. It spams also if the client disconnect from the network, with a "Trouble reading files, error -519 (network communication failed)" error. This happens a lot at our place, and is quite normal. People tend to move their portable computers around, and should be able to. It should be optional to be spammed about this.

2. It sends 3 or 4 emails for each error, instead of one! It often looks like this:

Email 1:

Subject: Retrospect notification from TheServerName (2008-08-04)

Script: TheScriptName

Client: TheClientName

Date: 2008-08-04

Trouble reading files, error -519 (network communication failed)

Email 2:

From Retrospect: Script "TheScriptName" failed during automatic execution, error -519 (network communication failed). Please launch Retrospect and check the log for details.

Note: No, i do not want to check the log, I want the error to be shown here!

Email 3:

Script: TheScriptName

Date: 2008-08-04

Script "TheScriptName" incomplete

It should of course only send ONE email with the complete error report.

In addition, the subject line would be more interesting if it was a short summary of the problem.

3. In some situations, it sends the email AFTER the problem is fixed! I sadly don't recall exactly in what situation this happens, and I don't know if it is fixed now, but I believe it was when it wanted more tapes and put up a dialog about that. Someone saw that and fixed it, and when the problem was fixed it sent the email.

Edited by Guest

• 3 months later...