Issues backing up to NAS

I have been using Retrospect successfully while backing up from my laptop to an external drive attached via USB.

I just installed a D-Link NAS enclosure with 2 Western Digital 750GB drives. The NAS is configured for RAID. So I have 700+GB of free space.

I struggled getting Retrospect to write to the NAS, but figured that out.

I am trying to do the first backup from the laptop to the NAS. It represents about 50gb of data.

Retrospect created 30 files in the directory on the NAS and then stopped midway through:

"Trouble writing media error -102 (Trouble Communicating)"

Certainly this MAY be a NAS device problem, but I need a hint as to more specifically what it might be so I can talk to D-Link more knowledgeably.

Then when I clicked "OK", Retrospect gave me this message:

"LT NAS A was groomed but did not free up enough space" and it wants me to name another member.

There certainly should be enough space!!!!

That was yesterday.

The script attempted to run this morning and I only received the "groom" message. It failed to write any files.

I am running Retrospect for Windows 7.6.111 on Windows XP SP3.

My backup script to backup to my USB drive continues to work properly.

Thanks in advance,

Larie

Robin, thanks!

Is there any configuration in Retrospect for it to "retry" communication, or lengthen a "timeout" period?

The NAS just sits there, powered up and connected through a router. At the time the backup stopped, there was no activity on the network.

Thanks,

Larie

I experienced the same behavior last night.

Yesterday I "forgot" all the snapshots and files and scripts.

I created a new script. I did NOT enable grooming.

Retrospect wrote 20 files over about 45 minutes. About 12.2 GB. Then I got the -102 error.

On the Dlink forum, one user thought the software (Retrospect) might be causing the problem.

I'll try some different software.

I really need a tip or hint as to where to go from here.

Thanks,

Larie

OK, I have tried a different software program - Genie Backup Manager.

I got a very similar result. While the backup was working, I was on Outlook sending an email.

The send/receive in Outlook failed and Genie backup hung. The backup failed.

I am growing stronger in my suspicion that the problem is in the DIR-655 router.

Cheers,

Larie

Another update!

I tried the Genie backup software overnight on Tuesday night. It ran successfully.

I ran it again last night. I got the same sort of error - communication interrupted. Again, this points to the router as the problem.

The good news is that the Genie software allowed for me to "retry". The backup continued.

With Retrospect, the hiccup in communication is fatal...no opportunity to "retry" and continue.

This will likely be my last update here in Retrospect. I will focus my troubleshooting on the D-Link router.

Cheers,