Does "restore entire disk" produce an identical environment (Vista)?

pinnington

While upgrading from Vista Business to Vista Ultimate on my Sony Vaio, the process stopped. I was unable to continue the installation and "rollback.exe" failed.

I thus planned to use a recent Retrospect Express (bundled with Iomega external HDD) backup. I restored the original system from the CD I made when I bought the computer; downloaded trial copy of Retrospect 7.6; rebuilt the Retrospect catalog; and restored the entire disk from external HDD to C:

I seem to have almost all my files back but I cannot see user data such as Mail, Favorites in IE, etc. Does "restore entire disk" indeed reproduce an identical environment? Am I expecting too much or am I doing something wrong?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

I have now made a full backup using the new (licensed) 7.6. There was no opportunity to make a Disaster recovery CD (option greyed out) but only to print off instructions.

As I do not have a recent system reinstall disk, would I still have to install all updates from the purchase date should I have another Disaster? Or does Retrospect manage to recover the latest system data from its backup set?