Blue Screen of Death

captainmux

I have been backing up my files to an external Maxtor drive using Retrospect Express HD for Windows, version 1.1.127.

I recently upgraded my C drive and used the old C drive in the second slot (now called F:). Old drive (formerly C: now F:) is 300GB; new drive (C:) is 500GB.

Two days ago, I realized that Retrospect was still backing up my old drive (the 300GB, no files have changed) and not my new drive (500GB, files change daily).

Two days ago, I changed Retrospect to back up the new 500GB drive to the same 500GB external at 1:00 am.

Both yesterday and today, I woke up to find the blue screen of death on my computer.

Retrospect is the only thing I can attribute that too. It’s the only thing I changed 2 days ago.

Any ideas on how I can get Retrospect Express HD to play nice?

In researching this problem before sending this message, I found there is a software version 2.0.

But, I couldn’t figure out (1) what the difference is between 1.1.127 and 2.0 (2) whether I am eligible for a free update and (3) whether it would help solve my problem.

Thanks in advance for any help….

Mux

You asked "am I eligible for a free update" so I told you what I know about getting the upgrade. I never suggested putting HD on your laptop, because I don't know anything about your laptop. Sorry to confuse you.

I don't know what is causing the BSOD. It is probably hardware causing it. The upgrade probably won't fix the problem, but I don't think it will make it worse either.

Edited by Guest

I apologize. My message must have seemed sarcastic and that wasn't my intent. But, I had to look up what NAS means and found out it refers to "network attached storage" which is the ability to back up files across a network (right?). So, I wondered how that would address my BSoD problem. Maybe you were saying that v. 2.0 would take care of it PLUS it had this other NAS benefit. I was trying to confirm that.

If you don't know what's causing the problem, can you refer me to someone who might? Or, does someone else monitor this forum who might?

Thanks....

If the failure always happens writing to the same 500 GB disk (I can't tell for sure from the description), then try writing to a different disk. if that works, then the original disk is having the problem.

Try the disk on a different computer to see what happens