backups damaged

Mike_Kahn

I have a Sony Vaio notebook (Win98) with a 6 GB drive that is partitioned into 4 GB (3.5 used) and 2 GB (1.8 used). I am backing up each partition separately (all files except cache) onto a 20 GB Buslink USB external harddrive using Retrospect Express 5.15. I am doing incremental backups and I eventually damage the catalog file on the 4 GB backup because of the 4 GB limit of the FAT 32 file system. I try to run the backup and get a "Trouble writing media error 102 (trouble communicating)" message. Then when I try to open the backup again I get "catalog file is damaged & cannot be used." Trying to repair is has not worked. Is there an elegant way for me to prevent killing my backup by hitting this limit?

Also, when I review the size of the .rbf files on the backup harddrive I am getting negative file sizes such as "-20480 bytes" and "-1951603060 bytes". What's going on here? When I look at the drive as a whole it appears to tell me the proper amount of storage used and available.

Thanks for your help!

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Windows has allows the file to go over 4 gig in size. This resulted in the negative numbers being displayed.

Other then watching the size, there is very little you can do to avoid this kind of problem.

Upgrading to Windows XP and converting the disk to NTFS is a good long term solution.

Dantz will have a workaround to these problems later in the year.

Archived