Error: Assertion failure at "elem.cpp-993"

I am running Retrospect Express HD version 2.0.214 on Windows XP. For the last number of days I've been getting error messages that simply say "Retrospect has encountered a serious error:" with no explanation underneath. The backups I have set to run nightly have been failing. When I go to look at the log on those failed back ups, it says that there is no log available.

This morning I came in and there was finally an error code. It was "Assertion failure at 'elem.cpp-993.'" My hard drive that I am backing up to is an Iomega and is getting pretty full. There isn't enough memory for another back up to fit on there. I don't know if it isn't erasing and overwriting the old backups or not.

I would be willing to start over, if need be. I just need to get this data backed up soon. Let me know how I might be able to do that or if there are any other suggestions. Thanks!!!

Edited by Guest

You could have a corrupt catalog file.

Delete the .rbc file, relaunch the software and a rebuild of the catalog should start within a few minutes. The software can then attempt to purge out old backup data.

I tried that once before (when I was getting the generic messages - before this specific one) and it didn't seem to work. I will try it again, but do you have any other suggestions? Thanks

• 4 weeks later...