Backing up to 2 drives

Hi All,

I am using Retrospect 7.5 and duplicating the contents of my hard drive to an external HDD. There is around 400GB of data and the first copy takes some time. Subsequent copies are fast as only files which have changed or been created are copied.

My problem comes when I want to manually copy the contents of the same drive in my PC to a 2nd external HDD which I keep off site. I do not use Retrospect for this as I want it as a seperate copy and so I manually copy the whole contents using Windows file explorer.

When I then go back to run my usual weekly duplicate to the 1st external HDD (using Retrospect as usual), it now tells me every file has changed and all 400GB needs replacing, thus it copies the lot from scratch.

Can anyone help with this as I want to use Retrospect to duplicate my drive to External HDD 1 but still need a monthly copy on External HDD 2 for off site backup, but it is this that seems to upset Retrospect.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Many thanks.

John

Why not use the duplicate option in Retrospect to copy your files to the 2nd drive? Why try to use WIndows Explorer?

Something in WIndows is changing the files making them look different.

What file system is used on the source disk? What about the destination disk?

Any errors during verification?

Thanks Robin for your assistance.

The reason I have not been using Retrospect was because the same thing happended and so I assumed Retrospect could not keep track of the backups on two different drives.

When I used Retrospect on HDD 2 it copied everything from scratch. The same happended on HDD 1, and again on 2 and so on.

Even though 95% of the files were identical and should have been 'seen' as identical when Retrospect does its comparison scan, they were still all replaced.

Am I doing something wrong?

I have seen other posts on this forum where other users are having a similar problem where Retropsect sees the files as having changed, where in fact they are identical.

Thanks for your continued support.

John

Sorry Robin,

In haste I did not answer your questions. Apologies.

The file system on the source and both external HDDs is NTFS

During the duplicate, I get no errors as the drive in question only holds data. I have my operating system and applications on a different drive so no files are 'open' during the duplicate.

I can't see that Windows could change the state of the files as they are only accessed when I open them. The data being backed up is a physical seperate drive (drive D:).

Also, the same thing happens when I backup the contents of a NAS drive to 2 different drives. It seems to cause Retrospect to 'lose track' of what's on the drive the next time it compares the files to decide what should be copied, and sees every file has having changed and therefore in need of replacing.

Thanks again.

John