Exchange 2007 SP1 Mailbox backup

Just downloaded and installed Retrospect 7.6 on a Windows Server 2008 x64 with Exchange 2007 SP1 running on a remote Windows Server 2008 x64. I can backup everything but the mailboxes. I went through the KB

(http://kb.dantz.com/display/2/index.asp?c=&cpc=&cid=&cat=&catURL=&r=0.7330133)

article from EMC outlining the account setup, but when I select the Exchange Mailboxes (not Exchange Server) I keep getting prompted for a login account. After running a backup I am unable to restore Exhange Mailboxes.

Exchnage 2007 Support is installed. What am I doing wrong?

Niles

Outlook 2007 was already installed on the Exchange 2007 prior to Retrospect. I believe that I did follow these instruction correctly. In the training video I notice a "Mailboxes" button option on the right hand side of the Volumes Database dialog. I do not this as an option.

Please advise,

Niles

The only policies that I have are a password change, disable firewall when in the domain, and few software installs.

Please note that this a pure Windows Server 2008 enviroment. What policy would prevent mailboxes backups?

Thanks,

Niles

Just got it to work! :teeth:

I logged into my Exchange Server as the RBU administrator. Opened up Outlook 2007 installed on there. Read the test email I had sent it. Closed out. Went back to Retrospect and choose it to login using the RBU administrator -- boom all my mailboxes showed up.

I will try backing up the individual mailboxes now. I'll let you know of my success.

-Rob

Edited by Guest

No luck on the backup.

Here is what I get in the back up log for an error:

- 7/8/2008 2:41:49 PM: Copying mailbox username on exchange-server-name

Retrospect error code error -3408 (unknown)

Reported by function kMsg_DirScan

Network error: Exchange is not answering and may need restart or reboot.

Scanning incomplete, error -3408 (unknown)

How do I do that? I am testing Retrospect 7.6 to see if it will compete with Backup Exec 12 (our current solution).

Backup Exec 12 does not have any issues with our current configuration. Works like a charm every time.

What is missing with Retrospect that Backup Exec has?

Thanks,

Niles

Well at least with Exchange 2007 SP1 you can not have both Outlook 2007 and Exchange Server MAPI Client and Collaboration Data Objects installed together.

With that said I uninstalled CDO and installed Outlook 2007 and tried setting up the RBU account but Outlook 2007 throws the following messege.

"The connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action"

All Micorsoft KBs in referance to this messege did not work.

Thanks,

Niles

Rob:

We reviewed the log you sent me for this issue and our engineers reported:

"It seems that the user didn’t install MAPI at first. I don’t know whether there is something wrong when he did install MAPI.

I think the user can try:

Uninstall all Retrospect Client parts on the server. Restart Exchange Server, follow the right steps to install Retrospect Client and MAPI.

BTW, 0x80040115 means a network error. Maybe the user can try to install Retro Server directly on Exchange Server. "

I believe the last suggested came up in a different thread. It would be a good idea to try installing Retrospect directly on the exchange server to see if you can access the mailboxes that way.