Re: Why cannot create Disaster DVD Disk greater than 650MB?

IanHamilton

With Retrospect 7.6, you can create the .ISO even if it is larger than a CD (mine was 818MB). You can then create a DVD from this iso using ImgBurn (Nero would not do it). I booted it (in a VM) and got to the point where Retrospect complained that it could not find the backup set (reasonable) and there was an option to exit Retrospect and continue to install XP. I got that far and then got stuck as XP hung trying to load drivers (in GUI mode after all files were loaded onto disk). I assume that because the VM machine was too different is the reason I could not go further.

Perhaps others could try a real disaster, I would if I have a removable disk in my real system

Edited by Guest
You hijacked another thread. Topic has been split.

Spoke too soon, the XP install finished and Retrospect is trying to restore. Because I was running in a VM it did not have access to the backup set. I installed VMTools, mapped a shared folder to that backup directory and rebooted which started the restore again. Retrospect complained that the C drive was not the same (maybe because the volume label was different). I selected the real drive to restore to and it started but kept prompting for the .RDB files and eventually got an assert failure at tstring.cpp-2219 (at the 6th .RDB file)

Bootable DVD is not supported. I am surprised it even worked for you.

Make sure the temporary system has the identical version including service pack to the one you are restoring.

Try a catalog rebuild (because of the assert error) before doing the restore.