Grooming and System Restore

dtilbor

How does grooming affect a system recovery/restore? Documentation says it intelligently eliminates "unneeded" older files . . . but what about system data? What if I need to do an emergency recovery of my system from a groomed backup? Will my system boot properly with all files, drivers, apps, etc.?

• 2 weeks later...

Here's another issue I'm having. After REBUILDING my system from scratch because Retrospect could not restore it, I set up my backups to run into the same (old) backup sets that existed on my two external drives (each is separately updated via its own backup script each night).

The data drive D: has about 300GB on it, most of which has not changed since the system crash. However, now Retrospect is attempting to back up everything on that drive (and the "new" C: drive), resulting in backup sessions that fail because the external drives can't take another full backup. In other words, the incremental backup seems unable to reconcile that is has current snapshots of D: from before. My only option is to delete the entire backup, which means my ability to retrieve data files going back to 2006 is lost.

Oh, I've groomed the backup sets multiple time, including "forgetting" several snapshots in the hope this would free enough space on the external drives.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Bob.

Edited by Guest

Retrospect appears sensitive to very minor details. For example changing the VOLUME LABEL on a hard disk results in retrospect identifying it as a new volume. Presumably client rebuilds also make it treat the new client and its disks as totally new. Hence it erroneously thinks it all needs to be backed up in full. Why cross-client matching doesn't help in this situation beats me.