Backup/Restore and Duplicate uses for drive D: entire content to new drive C:

Hello;

I am using Retrospect Express v6.5 on a WinXP Pro pc and have used it for backups onto an external WD drive.

I apologize for the rather long story.

I built a new PC and moved a 50Gb c: drive from the old pc to d:(slave) position in the new box. The new box has a 500Gb c:(master). Jumpered and installed them into the new box accordingly. Prep'd the new 500Gb c: drive with the usual fdisk/format, installed the os, installed Retrospect and ran "Duplicate/replace entire volume" from the smaller hd (d:) to the larger hd (c:). Ran winxp install/repair to adjust for possible missing os files (32 odd files were reported as not transferred) as well as to enable the old registry on the new pc. Once everything was tested as working on c: I would fdisk/format d:.

I began to test and everything seemed to be working fine until I discovered that the Duplicate function had not only transfered the folders and files but had also caused c: to become d: and of course d: was now e:.

I then disconnected e:, fdisked/formatted d: so that it would become c: again, then added d: and repeated the processes, hoping I might do it "right" this time but the same results - have a d: and e: but no c: drive.

Question: How could I have used Duplicate to enable the transfer of everything EXCEPT the volume name?

Also, please know that I would have initially done this using a backup/restore but could not find the correct(latest) catalog files. In any case, I now have a fresh backup and know where the catalog file is and am preparing to try the backup/restore function to perform this task yet I am worried that it will cause the same issues - I have already gone through the entire process twice and am starting to do this in my sleep ;. Please advise how I can ensure that everything BUT the volume name is restored to the new drive?

Many thanks in advance to any who can advise.

Best Regards from Ohio

(Canadian transplant)

Duplicates do not change drive letters. This is controlled by the operating system.

Retrospect can duplicate your exact files and folders from one disk to another. In many cases, duplicate doesn't even include the WIndows Registry. It also does not duplicate the Volume Label or drive letter.