File size limit

lostdata

I had successfully backed up my hard drive on a WinME machine to a file on a remote computer running Win2000. The file size was below the 4G limit of FAT32 and the backup fcompleted without error. I then backed up a second copy onto the same file and ran over the file size limit and got the appropriate error message. When I look at the backup file it is only 36k in size and I seem to have lost the original backup. Using tools to repair the file doesn't seem to work. I really need the original backup file. Can you help me get it?

It appears that you are hitting a 4GB file size limitation of a drive

formatted in FAT32. File backup sets are limited to the maximum file size

allowed by the file system used to format the disk:

o FAT: 2 GB

o FAT32: 4 GB

o NTFS: 1 TB

If you were running Windows XP, NT or 2000, you could reformat the drive in NTFS

(or convert it).

Version 6.0 of Retrospect will fix this issue, and provide a work around.

I know about these limits. My question is more specific. I had a fullbackup which was fine within the limits about 2.6G. A second backup overflowed those limits, now the original backup seems to have dissapeared. Can you help me find the original backup. I have some very importasnt files on the original backup. I don't mind if the second backup is lost.

The Express edition will only display the last snapshot taken in the catalog. Even if, though, the last snapshot is damaged, incomplete, or missing, if you've been performing incremental backups, the files are still there (even if they didn't appear in the last abortive snapshot).

Instead of performing the default "Restore Files from a Backup", try a "Search for Files.." instead. A searching restore ignores the snapshots, and finds the files directly, regardless of when they might have been backed up.

OK. Here is more information. I backed up 2.6 Gb of data sucessfully. Then did it a second time. The file overflowed at 4 Gb as you predicted. I now look at the file size and its 32K! I want to know how I can find the old 4 G file so I can find some very valuable files on the original backup. I have tried undelete programs and all they find is the 32K file. Please help me!

Hi Melissa, I am interested in upgrading from Express 5.6 to 6.0, but I didn't see the upgrade price on Dantz web site, can you tell me how much it will be to download the upgrade? I find it to be a pain to work within the 4gb size problem manually with over 30 gb's of data to back up to a removable hard drive. This sounds good!

Thanks,

Greg

Archived