What is proper format for user name and password for Retrospect Express HD?

EMC Retrospect Express HD came with our Western Digital Worldbook network attached hard drive.

Unfortunately, the documentation (and the help built into the software itself) are complete lacking in one important detail:

What is the proper format for entering the username when setting up the backup settings?

I have the same ID/pwd on both the local PC and the external hard drive, and both the PC and the hard drive are in the same workgroup (we do not have domains).

I have tried several formats for entering the ID:

> just the username

> \\workstation name\username

> username@workgroup name

None of the above works, and there's no help in the documentation. Anybody out there care to provide the answer for me?

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Were you able to figure out the right format?

I am having the same problem (though unfortunately I'm trying to restore). I also have a Western Digital hard drive, and I'm able to map the network drive using the username and password that I had set. I'm able to see all the files in it, including the files created by Retrospect. Then I click on "restore from another computer" and Retrospect does see the backup account.

However, when I select the account and click "next," it asks me again for the password, and I've tried every format I can think of, but it keeps telling me that the username and password are wrong. I've tried all the usernames/passwords I can think of as well (the drive's admin account, the "user" account I created on the drive, my local computer account, etc.). Please someone help, I'd really like to get my files back.

Thanks Robin. That was almost it, but it was close enough to help me get it. After a few dozen more tries, the following worked for me:

Username: Mybookworld\username

Password: password

Note that there is no double backslash at the beginning (which is confusing, since it includes the double slash in its prompt), and also note that it is a backslash before the username, not a forward slash.

Hopefully this page comes up for anyone who has this problem in the future.

Edit: I originally had problems finding the restore points once I logged in successfully. But I resolved the problem and I have access to my files! (The problem was that for some reason it had two entries my old computer: compname and compname2. I may have created one myself when I first installed it, I don't really remember).

But anyways, problem solved. Thanks again Robin for the help.

Edited by Guest