There MUST be an easier way... :(

Michael_G

Hi there,

This is my first post! Let's hope someone can help me soon with a simple issue with Retropect Express. I'll list the facts simply and clearly..!

(1) In My Documents, I have 25 folders, with numerous subfolders.

(2) Two folders I don't want part of my backup set. (They are MP3's and movies, like a total of 35 gigs!!!)

(3) I am trying to set up a normal backup using the scheduled backup.

(4) There does NOT seem to be a way that I could easily 'uncheck' those two pesky folders.

I know I could make subvolumes out of each of those 23 other folders, but that would be nuts.

If anyone has any insight, please let me know!

Thanks!

Mike

Melissa, I hate to jump in on somebody else's thread. Why don't you explain How he deselects those folders? I wrote for help on this before but never rec'd a reply. I can uncheck a couple folders but then get those on the bu and don't get an otherwise complete bu. Dave

"I can uncheck a couple folders but then get those on the bu and don't get an otherwise complete bu." I am not sure whaty ou mean by this.

If you go to Immediate and Backup and pick your source, destination. You then have Preview. Under there, you unmark the folders or files you do not want to backup. Then close the screen. That is it.

I'm not sure if this is what you are writing about or not. Maybe not!

Yes, Melissa, that is what I mean. I uncheck the block to the far left. Now, is there a trick to how you get out of the preview screen and back to the main backup screen? Generally when I go back it says zero files selected yet there are many selected in preview. Also, for an incremental Retrospect should pick up any newer files. I have found that although when it said zero selected, if I proceeded I would get a backup. Other times the log file would should 0 bytes and (1) snapshot. Well, I'll butt out of this thread now. Sorry I interrupted. Dave

The files that are selected for backup probably have a diamond next to them under the preview window. That is what I'm going to bet. That means they do not have to be backed up again because they have already been copied.

So it says, no files need to be copied.

Hi. Will assume you are correct. I will watch for this later as I continue my struggles. However, there definitely were cases where there were NEW files (version revisions, new installs, etc.) that did not get backed up. This would only happen when I was trying to exclude folders. Well, this has been a pain for several months. I will say a regular backup or incremental, usually, couldn't be simpler. Dave

Archived