0 restore points, Updating status

Cymbaline65

Hello-

I've read numerous posts regarding this problem but none have applied completely to me and my situation.

Running Vista Ultimate (not SP1)and Retrospect HD v2.0.214. Backup target is an separate, internal IDE drive (400GB)off a different controller than my OS drive.

Backups ran fine for 7 days. Now, the agent runs with no errors but no backups occur. Opening the manager shows "0 Restore Points" and "Updating Status" infinitely. I can close the manager without error.

I've done the following:

1. Rebooted multiple times

2. Disabled AV, uninstalled, cleaned Registry, reinstalled

All of this per other posts. I'm told that .NET could be the problem with older versions of Retrospect but not v2.

I cant put my finger on exactly if a Windows update broke this but right now, I can't perform any backups.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

EGB

You could have corrupt preferences. You should find a Retroexp or Retroexpress folder in the program data folder. Exit Express HD and rename this folder. Then reopen express HD, enter your license code and see if the problem goes away.

.net could still be the problem, and you may want to try and re-register .net

Hello Robin-

Well, renaming of the program data folder appears to have done the trick, thanks.

I do have some questions, however:

1. Does this corruption happen often?

2. Will Vista SP1 break this again?

3. I'd like to have a 5 day rotation schedule where my restore points are over written after 5 days. This is in order to conserve drive space and I just don't need 20+ restore points. Is there a way to set this up?

Thanks again,

EGB

Hello EGB!

1. Does this corruption happen often?

I would not say this happens "often" I have yet to ever find my preferences/config files corrupted throughout any of my testing. There have been some posts however that claim that it became corrupt on its own with no system changes. If this happens than I have not been able to reproduce it.

2. Will Vista SP1 break this again?

Not likely. SP1 should not have an effect on your config files.

3. I'd like to have a 5 day rotation schedule where my restore points are over written after 5 days. This is in order to conserve drive space and I just don't need 20+ restore points. Is there a way to set this up?

Retrospect Express HD does not offer a configurable recycle backup option. If you are In need of this option you may want to consider upgrading to Retrospect Pro.

Edited by Guest