Slow Performance selecting files to backup

IanHamilton

Hmm, I have to say I am a little disappointed with performance. I have just installed Express HD and ran it for the first time. Clicking on setup and then "Select files....", it took over an hour for the GUI to become responsive. I read an article in the forums about right clicking and selecting "About..." and sure enough, this updated the GUI (sometimes). It seems to me that Express HD is building a tree of my entire system, even though I only wanted to backup a small area. If this is a once off then I can cope but if this happens every time, I am not that happy.

Well as it turns out, the problem MAY be the way the GUI display is coded. Given the previous comment in these forums that the display seemed to only update when the "about" window was shown and given the random way the GUI performed when I clicked on entries in the Restore function (IE I would click on a entry and the entry would not highlight), it seemed to me that there was something wrong with the display rather than the program. I turned off some of the video hardware acceleration and it started working a lot LOT better. I had to turn the acceleration down to "Disable all DirectDraw and Direct3D accelerations, as well as all cursor and advanced drawing accelerations..." I see this as a bug in Express HD and will submit a bug report. Time will tell if the program is now as responsive as I would expect.

Further to my last post, I am still having the problem even if I disable ALL video acceleration. It is not as bad with no acceleration but nevertheless is still a problem. Interestingly when the GUI actually does get around to updating, it briefly flashes the entire window to black before redrawing.