Syntax for script exclusion for Home folder

We're running Retro 6.1 (latest patch) on an OS X 10.4.11 server. I'm trying to exclude a network user's iPhoto library from my nightly tape backup. (It is too large ;) The folder in question is on external storage attached to the server. I already had one exclusion in my script and added another one as follows: (Exclude) or matching : enclosing folder path name does contain /Volumes/Homes/Users/communications/Pictures/ (selecting all enclosed items).

Retro is still backing up this folder. I've double checked and the path name is valid. Any ideas as to why this is not working?

Thanks,

Robert

The folder in question is on external storage attached to the server. ...

/Volumes/Homes/Users/communications/Pictures/

Just to clarify, the mounted volume is named "Homes", correct? Realize that the presentation to the users (as a share) can be different from the path seen by Retrospect. Can you please post the output, in Terminal, of:

sudo ls -ald /Volumes/Homes/Users/communications/Pictures/

(the "sudo" is necessary because you may not have permissions to show things inside the "communications" user's home directory).

Russ

(Exclude) or matching : enclosing folder path name does contain /Volumes/Homes/Users/communications/Pictures/ (selecting all enclosed items).

Try truncating your pathname to Homes/Users/communications/Pictures/.

While you're in edit mode, you can test your selector without the need to perform an actual backup. Hit Command-T (or choose Test from the Selectors drop-down menu).

Yes, the mounted volume is "Homes." Here is the ls output from ls:

newserver:~ master$ sudo ls -ald /Volumes/Homes/Users/communications/Pictures/

drwx------ 6 communic staff 204 Mar 13 13:16 /Volumes/Homes/Users/communications/Pictures/

I will try a backup with the exclusion selector as Homes/Users/communications/Pictures/ this evening. (For what ever reason cmd-T would not allow me to select communications subfolders.)

Thanks for the help.

Robert

Your selector has 3 criteria. I would use the Disable button to disable all but 1 criteria and run a check selector against each condition, turning on one after another. If you turn on a condition and the selector stops working, then that is what failed.

I am worried about the AND part of the selector, that is the most likely point of failure.