Retrospect doesn't see data or perform backup

Up until now, things were, for the most part, working smoothly. I tried to run an immediate backup of a user's Mac which has in excess of 35Gb of data. This script worked as recently as yesterday:

Here is the log from yesterday when the process worked:

+ Normal backup using New Business at 3/10/2008 1:35 PM

To backup set New Business…

- 3/10/2008 1:35:14 PM: Copying Users on Eric…

3/10/2008 1:35:14 PM: Connected to Eric

3/10/2008 1:41:57 PM: Execution completed successfully.

Completed: 334 files, 2.3 GB

Performance: 390.4 MB/minute

Duration: 00:06:43 (00:00:46 idle/loading/preparing)

Here is one log entry from this morning:

+ Normal backup using New Business at 3/11/2008 10:21 AM

To backup set New Business 2…

- 3/11/2008 10:21:06 AM: Copying Users on Eric…

3/11/2008 10:21:06 AM: Connected to Eric

3/11/2008 10:21:06 AM: No files need to be copied.

3/11/2008 10:21:54 AM: Execution completed successfully.

Duration: 00:00:48 (00:00:47 idle/loading/preparing)

Here is another log entry:

+ Recycle backup using New Business at 3/11/2008 10:22 AM

To backup set New Business…

3/11/2008 10:22:43 AM: Recycle backup: The backup set was reset

- 3/11/2008 10:22:43 AM: Copying Users on Eric…

3/11/2008 10:22:43 AM: Connected to Eric

3/11/2008 10:22:43 AM: No files need to be copied.

3/11/2008 10:23:34 AM: Execution completed successfully.

Duration: 00:00:51 (00:00:50 idle/loading/preparing)

Same Mac (Leopard 10.5.2) - same results - Nothing was backed up. At minimum, his Entourage database changed, and the Normal backup should have run successfully. The Recycle backup should have seen all 35Gb.

I haven't tried to reinstall the Client (latest version), nor done any other troubleshooting.

What is going on? Any help would be appreciated

--Mitch

So let me understand - the script worked yesterday (and every day prior to yesterday for months), no changes were made to it after it ran yesterday, and doesn't work today, and it's the selector that's the problem?

Which selector would that be, and why does this make any sense?

Sorry if I sound incredulous, but I am

So let me understand - the script worked yesterday (and every day prior to yesterday for months), no changes were made to it after it ran yesterday, and doesn't work today, and it's the selector that's the problem?

Mayoff is attempting to work with the available information, in order to help. He doesn't know what you might have changed in your Script, or why the Immediate Backup shows more files to copy then your Script is catching.

Now, I myself do not suspect Selectors. In your Recycle log entry, it shows under a minute from client connection to the report of no files. That is not enough time for Retrospect to scan all 31 G and then un-match all the files against some overly exclusive Selector.

And if, as you say, no changes were made on the Retrospect end, perhaps there was a change at the Client end?

Since your Immediate Backup (where you had access to the Files Chosen button) required you to hand select the Source volume, I'd check on the Source being used in the Script, and make sure that it's exactly what it's supposed to be.

Dave

perhaps the backup was of a specific named disk (rather than the startup disk) and the name of the volume changed?

No, the script specifically says "Copying Users on Eric…" on both the successful backup, and the unsuccessful backup.

So it's likely that "Users" is a defined subvloume on the machine "Eric."

But we've seen here before how Retrospect's management of subvolumes can lead to problems if the existing folder that was defined as a Subvolume gets moved/renamed/repurposed, and a new folder is created in its place that the OS knows about, but Retrospect does not.

If the client machine has had a system update, it's possible that the Apple installer routines played around with folders. But only the original poster knows what might have happened at the client side.

Dave