Repair Catalog problem

jabrwoky

I have been trying to help a friend who is trying to recover files from a computer. Her ex used retrospect, and all she has is a collection of .rdb files. I have tried to use the instructions posted here and in the FAQs to recover a catalog to no avail. I have retrospect 7.0.5.102.

I navigate to Repair Catalog>Recreate from disks>All disks>then I browse to location of .rdb files>it shows nothing. If I have it search the whole disk, it just lists the existing backup sets it already knows about. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

You originally posted your Retrospect for Windows question in the Macintosh section of the forum. It has been moved.

The rdb files should be in a folder named 1-Backup Set Name. What is the name of your folder? When you do the catalog rebuild, you should try selecting the 1-Backup Set Name folder when trying to select the folder containing backup data.

I think I have the folder names correct. See attached screen shots. Hopefully it's something simple I'm not seeing. If I click Open, it opens the folder and shows no files. There are a set of .rdb files in that folder. If I click instead, I get the message shown in the second screen shot.

Thanks!

Edited by Guest

You may have a problem with these files or something may have renamed or even damaged the files. I would suggest a call directly to TS, we have helped people with this type of issue before, but it can be a little complex to try and fix in the forum.

The current version of Retrospect is 7.5.508, you are still using 7.0. I would try to download a trial to the the latest version and see if it has better luck.