Devices Disappear

Running Retrospect MSVP 7.5.508 & 7.5.13.100

Everything has been running well for over one month, and then this weekend for no explaination you see the situation now depicted in the PDF. The Environment sees the devices, but the status tab doesn't. I have rebooted including POR every device and cannot get this situation to change, including removing,disabling the devices which do appear in the Windows Device Manager.

any help would be appreciated.

thanks,

Bill

Windows 2003 on HP DL380... Server has been in place for one year, we have been using Retrospect since 2003.

Edited by Guest

The first drive is the CD-rom. In my attempts to diagnose/correct. I disabled it, nothing changed and then attempted to re-enable it.

One other cute thing is happening. Retrospect is not stopping. You can exit the application, but it remains in task manager. An attempt to relaunch gives you the running in another session.

the only way to clear is to logoff and back on between attempts.

So we know the problem is not hardware or drivers. Corruption to the preferences is the real problem.

I would try this:

1) Put the config file back so you get your settings again.

2) Inside Retrospect type ctrl-alt-P-P

3) Go to Device Debugging

4) Check "Clear all device info"

5) Quit and open Retrospect

Check your devices

I tried that and it didn't work, so is there something else I can try?

Thanks,

Bill

Details:

Clear all devices, logoff.

Retrospect hangs nothing happens.

Logoff again and restart Retrospect - same condition as before (no devices, Retrospect will not completely shutdown).

Second attempt:

On restart wait 5 minutes - Retrospect will come up, but the condition hasn't changed.

Edited by Guest

Did this shutdown problem still happen when you removed the preferences? This really does sound like corrupt config file. You can try to restore an old version of this file from your backup, with a modify date before the problem started.

You can also try to uninstall and reinstall Retrospect, incase part of it is corrupted.